Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate delta on matrix visual

I am using Matrix visual to display the sales conversion % by year group.  The sales conversion from a calculated measure. Year group comes from grouping function on Year

Matrix visual gives Total of the row, but in my case, I need to see the difference (delta) between 2 groups of year as below:

Year (groups) 2Sales Conversion
2017 & 201895.7%
2019 & 202093.7%
Difference 2.0.%

I thought of using DAX function EARLIER but it is stated that EARLIER cannot be used in measure, it is mostly used in calculated column. 

Has anyone tried compute delta (difference) in Matrix visual?

Any help is appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
sanalytics
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous 

May be you like this way also..Create a index column by dax 

index = RANKX('Table',[Year (groups)],,ASC)

then calculate the previous value measure by considering this index column

VAR _PrevValue=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales conversion]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[index] = MAX('Table'[index])-1) )
VAR Result = IF(ISBLANK(_PrevValue),BLANK(),_PrevValue- SUM('Table'[Sales conversion]) )
return
Result

Hope it helps
Regards,
sanalytics

View solution in original post

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can use a measure like this to do that.  In the total row, there are multiple year group values, so an IF can be used to return a different calculation there.  This measure will return the difference between the max and min values for the year groups.

Sales Conversion New =
VAR vSummary =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        DISTINCT ( YearGroupDifference[Year (groups) 2] ),
        "cSum", [SalesConversion]
    )
VAR vMax =
    MAXX (
        vSummary,
        [cSum]
    )
VAR vMin =
    MINX (
        vSummary,
        [cSum]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        COUNTROWS ( YearGroupDifference ) = 1,
        vMax,
        vMax - vMin
    )

mahoneypat_0-1606585485302.png

You can also rename Total to Difference.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi @Anonymous,

In fact, the table/matrix visual normally displays the default aggregate mode 'sum' on the total level without any other specific filters.

mahoneypat 's solution is to modify the total level of table/matrix title to 'difference' and writes the measure formula to check the total row content level and show the corresponding value.

Clever Hierarchy Handling in DAX 

For this scenario, you need to manually modify the total level name to change the 'total' to 'difference'. (in format tab -> 'total'/'subtotal' options)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

5 REPLIES 5
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can use a measure like this to do that.  In the total row, there are multiple year group values, so an IF can be used to return a different calculation there.  This measure will return the difference between the max and min values for the year groups.

Sales Conversion New =
VAR vSummary =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        DISTINCT ( YearGroupDifference[Year (groups) 2] ),
        "cSum", [SalesConversion]
    )
VAR vMax =
    MAXX (
        vSummary,
        [cSum]
    )
VAR vMin =
    MINX (
        vSummary,
        [cSum]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        COUNTROWS ( YearGroupDifference ) = 1,
        vMax,
        vMax - vMin
    )

mahoneypat_0-1606585485302.png

You can also rename Total to Difference.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you , The solution gives a meaure of the sales conversion delta, it still does not give a matrix/table display of difference at the bottom. I know this could be the limitation of the visual.

Year (groups) 2Sales Conversion
2017 & 201895.7%
2019 & 202093.7%
Difference 2.0.%

Hi @Anonymous,

In fact, the table/matrix visual normally displays the default aggregate mode 'sum' on the total level without any other specific filters.

mahoneypat 's solution is to modify the total level of table/matrix title to 'difference' and writes the measure formula to check the total row content level and show the corresponding value.

Clever Hierarchy Handling in DAX 

For this scenario, you need to manually modify the total level name to change the 'total' to 'difference'. (in format tab -> 'total'/'subtotal' options)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
sanalytics
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous 

May be you like this way also..Create a index column by dax 

index = RANKX('Table',[Year (groups)],,ASC)

then calculate the previous value measure by considering this index column

VAR _PrevValue=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales conversion]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[index] = MAX('Table'[index])-1) )
VAR Result = IF(ISBLANK(_PrevValue),BLANK(),_PrevValue- SUM('Table'[Sales conversion]) )
return
Result

Hope it helps
Regards,
sanalytics
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Working with the data you provided, created a table and pivoted it in Power Query, then applied a measure for the delta.

del1.PNG

del2.PNG

delta = MAX('Table (3)'[2017 & 2018])-MAX('Table (3)'[2019 & 2020])

del.PNG

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

If you would share your pbix, or dummy up some values in Excel both for current and expected data. Please copy and paste them into your post, rather than doing a picture, we may be able to help you. 

Please read this post to get your question answered more quickly:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.