Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate data with previous period/last month

Hi All,

I have a huge data set with transaction rows for each month. Since the report is generated on 1st of every month, it has month's first date as date against each of the rows for that month.

I have got 2 measures as shown in table 1) OB Conv Count N & 2) Workable OB Count N. I need to create a 3rd measure (OB Conv Count) which will take the value of OB Conv Count N & divide it with previous month's value of Workable OB Count N. Using previous month, Dateadd, Parallel Period doesn't seem to be working. In all the cases, the ratio takes the values for same month and displays it in the table as well. I want to avoid using calculated columns as there are many splicers on the page to enable filtering the data on various parameters. The table shown below reflects the values as per splicer selections. The only issue pending is OB Conv Count Ratio which needs current month numerator with previous month denominator. For e.g. For April, the value should be 4321/17502= 24.68%, but it shows 23% which is 4321/18461.

The data set does have a Date Dimension table for enabling fiscal year month numbering & calculations. Please help out here. Thanks in advance.OB Conv Snip.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k , 

Tried below:

Workable OB Count PM = CALCULATE([Workable OB Count N], DATEADD('FY 19'[Month].[Date], -1, MONTH))
It gives the result as:
Workable OB Count PM = CALCULATE([Workable OB Count N], DATEADD('FY 19'[Month].[Date], -1, MONTH))Workable OB Count PM = CALCULATE([Workable OB Count N], DATEADD('FY 19'[Month].[Date], -1, MONTH))
Replacing the 'FY 19'[Month].[Date] with column in Date_Dim table(Marked as Date table) returns blanks.
Requested Expression is
Workable OB Count N = calculate(COUNTA('FY 19'[COPF ID]), 'FY 19', 'FY 19'[Status]= "Work in Progress" || 'FY 19'[Status]= "Planned Delivery")

@Anonymous can you share pbix file? Remove any sensitive information before sharing, share thru one drive/google drive.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous lets start very simple and see if the calculation is working, create new measure for Previous Month and drop int the visual you shown and see if we get correct data

If it doesn't work, share expression of [Workable OB Count N] measure 

Workable OB Count PM = 
CALCULATE
(
[Workable OB Count N],
DATEASADD( Date[Date], -1, MONTH)
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.