Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate consumption from 5 minutes meter reads

Hi,

I have the exact same request discribed in the link below but with a very large database. I tested the solution in the link below on import mode with a fraction of my database and it works fine.

link to the request

When I test the same code on DirectQuery mode, a message pops up :

" this step generates a query not supported on DirectQuery mode"

I think DirectQuery mode doesn't support adding columns.

Is there another way to do the same thing on DirectQuery or using the new feature mixte storage ?

thanks for your help.

Best regards

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That link isn't working for me, but make sure that your fuctions are compatible with Direct Query

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/tabular-models/dax-formula-compatibility-in-d...

Might work with composite mode but maybe not if you are using a non-compatible function.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanls for your answer and sorry for the link,

this link should work

the M code that wont work in Direct Query mode :

Partition = Table.Group(#"Lignes filtrées" , {"tagName"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{{"ts", Order.Ascending}}), "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    Table.Combine = Table.Combine(Partition[Partition]),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(Table.Combine, "Index-1", each if [Index] = 1 then null else [Index]-1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin( #"Added Conditional Column",{"tagName", "Index-1"},#"Added Conditional Column",{"tagName", "Index"},"Renamed Columns",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Renamed Columns" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Renamed Columns", {"tagValue"}, {"tagValue.1"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Renamed Columns", "conso", each if [tagValue] < [tagValue.1] or [tagValue.1] = null  then null else [tagValue]-[tagValue.1]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom",{"ts", "tagName", "tagValue", "conso"})

It seems that the problem is adding columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.