Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matthewjd24
Frequent Visitor

Calculate averages for each distinct item in a table then get the sum

Hello, I'm struggling with something simple but I'm not really sure what it's called, so it's hard to find any information about it.

My manufacturing company is using Power BI to look at parts recently manufactured. We have a fact table that records the status of our machines, and from this table I'm trying to create visualizations. Right now I'm working on having it calculate how much it costs us in tools when we run a part. We have many parts, and each part has multiple "operations" it has to undergo before it's a finished product. Every time we start a new part, the PartInstance column goes up by 1. My task is to figure out how to calculate the average cost (sum of $SpentOnTool) per PartInstance, which I've made a measure to do- SUM($SpentOnTool) / DISTINCTCOUNT(PartInstance)

matthewjd24_2-1636836709129.png

There are 3 part numbers visible here, #23, 7, and 54. Right now, you have to filter by one part number and one operation number for the measure to work. Then my measure gets the sum of $SpentOnTool, the distinct count of PartInstance, and then divides the two to get average cost per for the Part and Operation you've selected. However, this measure only works if you have one operation number selected.

matthewjd24_4-1636837687777.png

If you select multiple OperationNumbers, I need to have the measure show the sum of the tool cost for each operation number. I'm not sure how to do that. Here is a simple table with how the math should work.

matthewjd24_0-1636792594397.png

But if you select operation 1, 2, and 3 together, it's doing $7.84 / 44 = $0.18. It needs to be instead $0.07 + $0.79 + $0.06 = $0.96, but I'm struggling to figure out how to do that. Any ideas? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
matthewjd24
Frequent Visitor

I figured out the solution. I found out about the SUMMARY function and I used that and SUMX to do what I needed to do. To anybody in the future with the same problem, I created the following measure

AvgToolCostPerPart =
var summaryTable = SUMMARIZE('MachineData',MachineData[PartNumber],MachineData[OperationNumber],"AvgOpCost", (sum(MachineData[$SpentOnTool]) / DISTINCTCOUNT(MachineData[PartInstance])))
return sumx(summaryTable, [AvgOpCost])

It basically does what I had been describing- finding the average cost per instance for each PartNum + OpNum and creating a table with that. Then SUMX adds the resulting values together. 

Useful links I found:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
matthewjd24
Frequent Visitor

I figured out the solution. I found out about the SUMMARY function and I used that and SUMX to do what I needed to do. To anybody in the future with the same problem, I created the following measure

AvgToolCostPerPart =
var summaryTable = SUMMARIZE('MachineData',MachineData[PartNumber],MachineData[OperationNumber],"AvgOpCost", (sum(MachineData[$SpentOnTool]) / DISTINCTCOUNT(MachineData[PartInstance])))
return sumx(summaryTable, [AvgOpCost])

It basically does what I had been describing- finding the average cost per instance for each PartNum + OpNum and creating a table with that. Then SUMX adds the resulting values together. 

Useful links I found:

Fsciencetech
Helper III
Helper III

Could you please share sample data

Hi, thank you helping, I have edited the post to include sample data and hopefully better explain my goal. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.