Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate averages by day of the week

I need to create a bar chart with average Sales by Product based on the filter I choose by each day of the week.

For example.. if I select Monday in the Dates tables filter, the chart should show the averages of app counts submitted on only Mondays of that month/year/ time period selected in time slicer and similarly for other days of the week.

I would really appreciate if someone can help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, you can refer to below steps:

1.I have entered some sample data to test for your problem. Now you can create a calculated column to calculate the weekday.

weekday = WEEKDAY([Date],1)

2.1.PNG

2.Create a Clustered column chart value and add the [Year], [Month], [Day], and [Value] fields and modify the [Value] field from "Sum" to "Average".

2.2.PNG

Capture.PNG

3.Create a Slicer visual and add the [weekday] field.

2.7.PNG

Now you can filter your data manually.

2.8.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view. If it doesn’t meet your requirements, please provide some dummy data and clarify the requirement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/90z48xgpmb5hz12/Calculate%20averages%20by%20day%20of%20the%20week.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my previous test pbix file, you can refer to below steps:

1.Create a new measure to calculate the moving average of last 30 days.

Apps 30D Moving Average = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Value]),DATESINPERIOD(Table1[Date],LASTDATE(Table1[Date]),-30,DAY))

new 1.PNG

2.Create a Clustered column chart and add the [Date] and [Apps 30D Moving Average] field.

new 2.PNG

3.Use the “weekday slicer” , you can filter last 30 Mondays/Tuesdays data.

new3.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2j2lwomfij0x9re/Calculate%20averages%20by%20day%20of%20the%20week2.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, you can refer to below steps:

1.I have entered some sample data to test for your problem. Now you can create a calculated column to calculate the weekday.

weekday = WEEKDAY([Date],1)

2.1.PNG

2.Create a Clustered column chart value and add the [Year], [Month], [Day], and [Value] fields and modify the [Value] field from "Sum" to "Average".

2.2.PNG

Capture.PNG

3.Create a Slicer visual and add the [weekday] field.

2.7.PNG

Now you can filter your data manually.

2.8.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view. If it doesn’t meet your requirements, please provide some dummy data and clarify the requirement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/90z48xgpmb5hz12/Calculate%20averages%20by%20day%20of%20the%20week.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Daniel He

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-danhe-msft Thank you for sharing the solution. This was really helpful.

Now with this bar chart, I also need to include another bar of Moving Average of last 'n' number of Mondays/Tuesdays based on the Weekday selected in the filter. Basically, I have to compare the Avg number of Sales with the Moving Average of Sales by that day for a time frame.

Below is the DAX formula I use to calculate the Moving Average of last 30 days:

Apps 30D Moving Average= AVERAGEX(
DATESINPERIOD(
Dates[DateKey],
LASTDATE(Dates[DateKey]),
-30,DAY),
[Apps])

But, how to implement it for last 30 Mondays/Tuesdays etc. based on the Weekday slicers selected ? I would really appreciate if we could resolve this.

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my previous test pbix file, you can refer to below steps:

1.Create a new measure to calculate the moving average of last 30 days.

Apps 30D Moving Average = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Value]),DATESINPERIOD(Table1[Date],LASTDATE(Table1[Date]),-30,DAY))

new 1.PNG

2.Create a Clustered column chart and add the [Date] and [Apps 30D Moving Average] field.

new 2.PNG

3.Use the “weekday slicer” , you can filter last 30 Mondays/Tuesdays data.

new3.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2j2lwomfij0x9re/Calculate%20averages%20by%20day%20of%20the%20week2.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Daniel He

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-danhe-msft 

This is great!!

Thank you so much for your quick response. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.