Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate average based on filter selected

Hi All, 

My original dataset has 14 rows and 2 column Company and Gender. 

Column_1 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Company]))

Column_2 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Gender],Sheet1[Company]))

Column_3 = DIVIDE(Sheet1[Column_2],Sheet1[Column_1])

I want to calculate Average Column, which is average of of Male and Female from column 3.

For Male it should be (.50+.29+.67)/3 =48.41 % 

How can i evaluate Average Column. Please guide. Thanks a Lot

cmp.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Habib : Just realised the solution with Measure

Measure_1 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Company]))

Measure_2 = COUNTROWS(Sheet1)

Measure_3 = [Measure_2]/[Measure_1]

Measure_4 = CALCULATE((AVERAGEX(SUMMARIZE(Sheet1,Sheet1[Company]), [Measure_3]) ),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Gender]))

No Need to create additional table as i did before. Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous,

Average can be calculated using below formula, but in your scenario, it will not give you correct answer always.

Avg = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Sheet1[Column_3]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Gender]))

As you mentioned that result should be 48.41% but if you actually calculate % of M among your dataset, it should be 43% consiering your have 6 records for M. Better would be calculate the % using below DAX without involving the Column_3.

NewAvg = SWITCH(Sheet1[Gender],"F",COUNTAX(FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Gender]="F"),Sheet1[Gender])/COUNTA(Sheet1[Gender]),"M",COUNTAX(FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Gender]="M"),Sheet1[Gender])/COUNTA(Sheet1[Gender]))

Hope this will help you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Habib :  I can't consider 6 records as i have to filter the record (i.e. summarize 1 row for each [company & Gender]).

So if you see my filter table it has only 3 rows for male and 3 rows for female based on company & Gender.

Column_1 is number of rows for a particular company and Column_2 is number of Female or Male in that company. 

In your solution , i will always have total number of rows for Female or Male from full table. 

I found the solution : What i did , i created a New Table from the filtered table and then applied average and counta functiona to get the result

I am still not sure , if i dont create a New Table , how can i get 3 records using DAX. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Habib : Just realised the solution with Measure

Measure_1 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Company]))

Measure_2 = COUNTROWS(Sheet1)

Measure_3 = [Measure_2]/[Measure_1]

Measure_4 = CALCULATE((AVERAGEX(SUMMARIZE(Sheet1,Sheet1[Company]), [Measure_3]) ),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Gender]))

No Need to create additional table as i did before. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.