Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mertsch
Frequent Visitor

Calculate an average from a Sum by Month

Hi Guys, 

I want the average from a time Period.

In one Table i have 2 Rows like this:  

Date:                  Values:                

01.01.2016        100

01.01.2016        50

01.01.2016        10

01.02.2016        50

01.02.2016        50

01.02.2016        20

If i creat visuals with average i only get the full average of all data ( 46,6666) 

but i need it per Month  '
average  01/2016 = 53,33

02/2016 = 40

I tryed a lot of things with the little DAX i know but nothing worked out correctly. 

thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Mertsch,

I have tested it on my local environment, you can add calculated column to display the month name using the DAX below
Month = MONTH(MonthAverage[Date])

And then create a measure
MeasureAverage = SUM(MonthAverage[Total])/DISTINCTCOUNT(MonthAverage[Month])

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Clinical_Epi
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi All, (funny I came here for an average per month of a sum - which is elluding me)...

However I deal with dates and odd data a lot, supprised you guys are having an issue...

So a percentage is  numerator/denominator (then click on the % in your column tools) easy enough... but over time can be an issue. So lets say you create a simple % measure, but wan tot look at it over time. (say Month to date, last month and year to date).

1) in your  hospital data duplicate your date column and make sure its set as "date" in formatting

2) if you dont have a date table click on modelling 'New Table' and paste this in:

Date =
GENERATE (
CALENDAR( DATE( YEAR( TODAY() ) - 4, MONTH( TODAY() ), DAY( TODAY()) ), TODAY()),
VAR startOfWeek = 1 // Where 1 is Sunday and 7 is Saturday, thus a 3 would be Tuesday
VAR currentDay = [Date]
VAR days = DAY( currentDay )
VAR months = MONTH ( currentDay )
VAR years = YEAR ( currentDay )
VAR nowYear = YEAR( TODAY() )
VAR nowMonth = MONTH( TODAY() )
VAR dayIndex = DATEDIFF( currentDay, TODAY(), DAY) * -1
VAR todayNum = WEEKDAY( TODAY() )
VAR weekIndex = INT( ROUNDDOWN( ( dayIndex + -1 * IF( todayNum + startOfWeek <= 6, todayNum + startOfWeek, todayNum + startOfWeek - 7 )) / 7, 0 ) )
RETURN ROW (
"day", days,
"month", months,
"year", years,
"day index", dayIndex,
"week index", weekIndex,
"month index", INT( (years - nowYear ) * 12 + months - nowMonth ),
"year index", INT( years - nowYear )
)
)
3) Link your new date table to your hospital data's duplicate 'date' column in your data (easy this way trust me)
4) Now create a new % measure (say "HAC_CSV_Data[% of HAC's]" and using this create 3 new date range measures:
% of HAC's (MTD) = CALCULATE(HAC_CSV_Data[% of HAC's], DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
% of HAC's (Prev MTD) = CALCULATE(HAC_CSV_Data[% of HAC's], PREVIOUSMONTH(DATESMTD('Date'[Date])))
% of HAC's (YTD) = TOTALYTD(CALCULATE(HAC_CSV_Data[% of HAC's]),'Date'[Date])
5) once those are created you will need to click on the column tools for each one and format them as % 
6) Using the Date table you created and linked to your data - add the Year and Month (only) as a hierarchy into a table visualization, and then add your new 3 measures, just to check they work.

For graphs/charts that flow over years I use the MTD measure the most, not the YTD, as it just works best. 

The 3 measures work great in cards btw - flawlessly! (for me) and to do date selections for the end user I add a "Chiclet" into PBi from the free apps and have one for year, and one for month. (or create a new date column = format as dd/mm/yyyy - and to sort, which is a nightmare, create another column formatted as mm/yyyy - and sort using that.) Chiclet works best for me due to the sheer amount of filtering I use in measures, but only if I use the MTD, Prev MTD and YTD cards, otherwise a normal date slicer is fine...

PS - I work with Hospital data all day every day - so this should be easy stuff (wait till you get to title changes and chart x axis changes by selection 🙂

Regards
Andrew
MartaRamos
Frequent Visitor

I have the quantity of employee per month, need to calculate the average per month

Final Qty                  Average per month

January :100            100

February: 120           110

March:   90               105

April ::  100               95

Average= (Qty 1+Qty)/2

i am struggling with this , if someone can help me, 🙂 😞 

mertsch
Frequent Visitor

edit: sorry i explane it wrong.... 

what i need is:  

the final average:

01/2016 = Sum 160 

02/2016 = Sum 120

average: 140 

Try creating a calculated column like:

Month = MONTH([Date])

Then add your Average measure and Month to a table.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Looks like you want to get the average by Summing the amount and dividing it by the number of months/distinct dates rather than dividing by the number of rows. 

This might help, write following DAX measures:

Amount=SUM([Values])

NumOfDistinctDates=DISTINCTCOUNT([Date])

Avg=DIVIDE([Amount],[NumOfDistinctDates])

nikil

Check out the Chicagoland Power BI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I have one more question here, i ahave one Power Bi template, which has Hours by month Operating Group wise.

Cureently in Power Bi i am using Matrx visual for this and i have the data from February 2018 to December 2018, i .e for 10 months.

But when i used the formual 

Average Hours = SUM('MC Payroll and Hours'[Hours]) / DISTINCTCOUNT('Dates'[Month].[Month])

For 
DISTINCTCOUNT('Dates'[Month].[Month])    it was taking months count as 12 not 10, is there any way that i can write code for taking only 10 months.(of visual has 10 months data, months count should come to 10, if visual has data for 8 months, count should come to 8.)

My Financial Year is September to Aug.

thanks.   

Simple & Effective solution.  Cheers

mertsch
Frequent Visitor

well it wokrs for the full tabel but if i used filters it dont work for it. 

( 140 is correct for all data ) 

A.JPG

But after using Filters it will be still 140.  it need to be 60 in that case 

B.JPG

There must be a other way to have it more flexible with using filters

The data need to be calculated acording to the used filters and visual in front end.

May it works with GROUPBY Month Dates?! But i dont get the DAX work

= GROUPBY (Tabelle1;Tabelle1[Month];“TEST2”;SUM(CURRENTGROUP();Tabelle1[Total])) 

Hi Mertsch,

I have tested it on my local environment, you can add calculated column to display the month name using the DAX below
Month = MONTH(MonthAverage[Date])

And then create a measure
MeasureAverage = SUM(MonthAverage[Total])/DISTINCTCOUNT(MonthAverage[Month])

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks, this helps.

But, I have a slightly different scenario. 

I am looking at tickets closed by users in a date range.
In report, say, I selected the Closed Date Range as 1/Aug - 31/Jan (6 Months)

Now, I am facing the following mismatch.

UserTickets ClosedDistinct Closed Months

Calculated Average

Actual Average
A15

Aug2021,

Sep2021,

Oct2021,

Jan2022

5/4=1.255/6=0.83
A23Aug2021,
Sep2021
3/2=1.53/6=0.5

These users worked all six months - but they closed no tickets in some months. Still the average is showing better than actual.

How do I rectify this?

This does not work if the data covers a period longer than a year as multiples will appear over multiple years, is there another way?

substitute the followign for the month formula:  =format([date], "YYYYMM")

Hi,

I am a beginner in Power BI. I want to arrive at % of surgeries performed by each doctor for the month. i. e. total surgeries by a doctor in a month DIVIDED BY total surgeries in the month. 

Data.png

When I used the solution in a measure as "MonthlySurgeries = sum(tblReportPaed[Surgeries])/DISTINCTCOUNT(tblReportPaed[MonthNumber])" it generates an error at the bottom of the screen which reads as "TABLE: tblReportPaed (92 Rows) COLUMN: Measure (0 distinct values)".

Where am I going wrong?

Appreciate in advance.

Hi 

I have similar report but it has 3 years data.

I'm looking for average calculation as below

=total year production value/no. of months

kindly provide solution

Hi,

What if we want to use this measure with a date drill down, how would it work?

Fernando

Thats what im looking for ! 

Thanks a lot ! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.