Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LisaB
Helper III
Helper III

Calculate amounts in local currency

Hi,

I have different amounts in currency but wish to calculate them to local currency.

I have three different tables, see examples below. The first table contains the currency code but no amounts. The second table (invoicing lines) does not contain currency codes but line amounts. The third table is the exchange rate table that contains one exchange rate per day. 

In the second table, the invoicing lines, I only want to retreive some amounts, I have marked them in bold.

I wish to retreive the amounts in local currency for only some invoicing lines (this will be a page level filter) using the latest exchange rate available.

Any advice?

Contract table
Contract NoCurrency Code
CON001USD
CON002EUR
CON003SEK
CON004GBP

Contract invoicing lines
Contract NoItem NoLine Amount
CON00110010 000
CON0011012 000
CON0021005 000
CON0032003 000
CON0032401 000
CON00430020 000

Currency exchange rates
2019-05-11USD10
2019-05-11EUR10
2019-05-11SEK1
2019-05-11GBP11
2019-05-12USD10,1
2019-05-12EUR9,9
2019-05-12SEK1
2019-05-12GBP11,2

Thanks!

Lisa B

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@LisaB solution attached.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@LisaB your post in not very clear:

what is local currency?

You mentioned for few line items you want to convert? What is the logic of few lines?

Can you put example of what you expected result to be?

Also I believe contact number in contract table (1st table) is unique?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k,

The local currency is SEK (exchange rate = 1)

The first table is the contract header where contract no is the unique key. The second table is the invoicing lines for the contracts. The purpose is to calculate the ARR and only a few items numbers are recurring revenue. However, as long as I can get the amount i SEK for each line I can put a page level filter on item number.

Expected result:

Contract NoItem NoLine AmountCurrency code (not in table)Line Amount (LCY) (not in table)
CON00110010 000USD101 000
CON0011012 000USD20 200
CON0021005 000EUR49 500
CON0032003 000SEK3 000
CON0032401 000SEK1 000
CON00430020 000GBP224 000

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks.

@LisaB solution attached.

Hi @parry2k ,

The solution you sent worked perfectly fine until now (?). This is how the formula now looks like. I haven't made any changes to the data or the formula.

Can you see why I get this error?

exchange.PNG

Many thanks

Lisa

@LisaB any table name or column name changed?

Hi,

Nope, no changes. What's wierd is that I can refresh the report without any problems, it is when I look into the formula I get the error and after that it is no longer possible to refresh the report. Hope that makes sense...

L

Hi again @parry2k,

It seems like the formula doesn't pick up ResultIfFalse in the IF-statement, see picture:

exchange new.PNG

Hm - I hit tab ("1 ;") instead of  ";" directly after the number 1 and it now works again...

Hi @parry2k ,

Many thanks - works like a charm.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.