Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate a measure using two or more conditions

Hi, everyone.

I am quite new to Power BI and need help with calculating a measure using several conditions. 

I have an aggregated table of orders listing different information about them, like shipping method, client type, date and the client/company the order belongs to.

I need to calculate two measures that I cannot figure out. Try to do google it and it didn't help. The measure I need are:

1) Backlog in days: this is the number of days the orders reach the status completed. I have several status values which I would need to include as a nested if condition or the like. I need to calculate backlog for both b2b and b2c orders differently. 

I define the backlog as follows: the number of days the orders stay in one of the statuses "packed", "picked", "bloked", i.e. unless it changes to completed, not taking into account the weekend days. So it should be today minus whatever day where there is an order with one of the above mentioned statuses (ideally, when the number of such orders exceeds 20-30 on this particular day). 

Hier ist the source table I have:

ClientOrder_numberStatusShipping_typeClient_typeDateNumber of positions
Company 1Order1shippeddhlb2c01.03.20215
Company 2Order2packeddpdb2b15.03.20211
Copamny 3Order3pickeddpdb2b16.03.20211
Company 1Order4blockeddhlb2b17.03.20212
Company 2Order5pickeddhlb2b18.03.20211
Copamny 3Order6packeddhlb2c01.04.20214
Company 1Order7shippeddhlb2c13.04.202116
Company 2Order8packeddpdb2c14.04.202114
Copamny 3Order1pickeddpdb2c15.04.20211

2) I also have another table with different KPIs assigned to each day where I have a column of backlog. It is the backlog on this particular day which is calculated once daily when the orders are trasmitted to us. I need to exctract the backlog for today, that is the last entry (every day a corresponding row is added to the table with today's date). The functions like lastnonblank or maxx don't seem to work in my case (or at least, I can't figure it out given my littel knowledge of DAX). 

Any help and tipp would be very much appreciated.

Regards  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your question1, I made a sample, please check.

I made a calendar table and add a column about the day of the week.

Table 2 = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2021,1,1),DATE(2021,12,31)),"Weekday",WEEKDAY([Date],2))

Screenshot 2021-04-23 144022.png

Then create the measure

Backlog in days =
VAR StartDate =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( 'Table'[Date] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Client] ),
        'Table'[Status] <> "completed"
    )
VAR EndDate =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ),
        'Table'[Status] = "completed",
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Client] )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table 2' ),
        FILTER (
            'Table 2',
            [Date] >= StartDate
                && [Date] <= EndDate
                && [Weekday] <> 7
                && [Weekday] <> 6
        )
    )

Screenshot 2021-04-23 144116.png

For your question 2, please provide more details or share me with your pbix file.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your question1, I made a sample, please check.

I made a calendar table and add a column about the day of the week.

Table 2 = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2021,1,1),DATE(2021,12,31)),"Weekday",WEEKDAY([Date],2))

Screenshot 2021-04-23 144022.png

Then create the measure

Backlog in days =
VAR StartDate =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( 'Table'[Date] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Client] ),
        'Table'[Status] <> "completed"
    )
VAR EndDate =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ),
        'Table'[Status] = "completed",
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Client] )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table 2' ),
        FILTER (
            'Table 2',
            [Date] >= StartDate
                && [Date] <= EndDate
                && [Weekday] <> 7
                && [Weekday] <> 6
        )
    )

Screenshot 2021-04-23 144116.png

For your question 2, please provide more details or share me with your pbix file.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'd suggest starting simple and build your measure out step by step. First I'd start with working out the number of days  between today and the date listed: =DATEDIFF(TODAY(),[DATE],DAY). Once you get that then you can exclude weekends. First step is to create a Date Table that has a calculated column to indicate whether each day is a weekday or not (week day = 1, weekend day = 0). Create a date table by following the link above and call it Dates. Then add the calculated column called IsWorkDay by using this formula: 

IsWorkDay=SWITCH(WEEKDAY([Date]),1,0,7,0,1)

Then you can update your measure to look like:

Backlog in Days=CALCULATE(SUM(Dates[IsWorkDAY]),
                                                                                       DATESBETWEEN(Dates[Date],
                                                                                          BacklogTable[Date],
                                                                                              Today())
                                                                                      )

Finally start adding in your filters by using the CALCULATE function:

=CALCULATE(SUM(Dates[IsWorkDAY], DATESBETWEEN(Dates[Date],BacklogTable[Date],Today())),[Status] IN {"packed", "picked", "bloked"})

That should get you started at least.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Anonymous .

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Unfortunately I bumped into some errors when I tried to implement the codes you provided.

First, I tried to calculate a measure as per the formula you gave me but got an error "A single value for column 'Date' in table 'BacklogTable' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.". I guess I was trying to calculate a measure instead of a column so I went forward and created a calculated column instead. 

In the next step, I tried to calculate a measure with the combination of calculate&sum as per the formula but again came across an erre "Too many arguments were passed to the SUM function. The maximum argument count for the function is 1." I don't understand what I did wrong. 

I would really appreciate further help.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies, rather than a measure try to use the calculation in a calculated column in the first step and once you get the days worked out that adjust to exclude the weekends

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.