Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drinko
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate a PayPeriod from a table with one Pay Date field

PBI beginner here, trying to learn DAX.  I have ADP_Labor[Timecard Pay Date] and I am trying to calculate a PayPeriod.  The logic is that the [Timecard Pay Date] is between two dates that define the period.  I created a dimension table that had Pay_Period[Period start date],Pay_Period[Period end date],Pay_Period[Pay Period].  I didn't know how to join that table to ADP_Labor.  I tried two joins, but only one could be active (needed some kind of implicit conditional join and I have no idea what I'm talking about).  The other option was to create a New Column in ADP_Labor called PayPeriod, but I have no idea how to write the DAX for that (tried many things).  The ADP_Labor table would have data for 2019-2021 and there are 26 pay periods per year (14 days per period).  Period 1 for each year states at a weird date for each year, but the math and logic would work out if I hard coded the start date.  2019 period 1 start date is 12/21/2018 and 2020 period 1 start date is 12/20/2019 and 2021 period 1 start date is 12/18/2020.  Grateful for any help.  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Need a little more help.  I made some progress creating a calculated column in the ADP_Labor table.  I am using datediff to put each ADP_Labor[Timecard Pay Date] row into a Pay Period.  There are 26 pay periods per year.   I just need help figuring out how to put period 27 as period 1 (first one in a new year).  Any ideas?

pay period = FLOOR(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,12,21),ADP_Labor[Timecard Pay Date],DAY)/14,1)+1

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @drinko ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @drinko ,

According to my understanding, you want to add the Date period in Pay table to ADP table, right?

You could use the following formula:

Column =
VAR _date = [Timecard Pay Date]
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Pay_Period'[Pay Period] ),
        FILTER (
            'Pay_Period',
            'Pay_Period'[Period start date] <= _date
                && 'Pay_Period'[Period end date] >= _date
        )
    )

2.9.1.1.PNG

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thank you, but now I don't know how to calculate Pay Period into a Date table that spans multiple years.  2019 period 1 start date is 12/21/2018 and 2020 period 1 start date is 12/20/2019 and 2021 period 1 start date is 12/18/2020.  Not sure which function to use.  

I thought there would be an easier approach to his without having to create a dimension table with hundreds of rows for each date.  I was hoping there was a DAX expression that could look at the ADP_Labor[Timecard Pay Date] and determine which Pay Period it is in without having to join to a Date table.  I'll try anything at this point though.

@drinko ,Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Yes Sir.  I can share some sample data.   FIrst time user so not sure where to click to share CSV files?

@drinko , One is you can copy paste from excel to here/ Or Upload on onedrive or dropbox and share the link

Need a little more help.  I made some progress creating a calculated column in the ADP_Labor table.  I am using datediff to put each ADP_Labor[Timecard Pay Date] row into a Pay Period.  There are 26 pay periods per year.   I just need help figuring out how to put period 27 as period 1 (first one in a new year).  Any ideas?

pay period = FLOOR(DATEDIFF(DATE(2018,12,21),ADP_Labor[Timecard Pay Date],DAY)/14,1)+1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.