Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Calculate YTD across all year using one measure

Hello All,

In the attached file I have data for 3 years (2019, 2020 and 2021).

For 2021, I have data upto March 2021.

I want to create a measure where I can add it in a table with year dimension + the YTD measure and and it will show data from Jan till Mar in each year

YTD.PNG

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@themistoklis 

Not sure I fully understand but I think I do.  I added a column to your 'Calendar Date Hour' table to check if the day of the year is <= TODAY()

Year day is past = 
    VAR _Year = YEAR ( 'Calendar Date Hour'[Date] )
    VAR _Month = MONTH ( TODAY() )
    VAR _Day = DAY ( TODAY() )
    VAR _CompareDate = DATE ( _Year, _Month, _Day )
RETURN 'Calendar Date Hour'[Date]  <= _CompareDate

Then a measure to use that as a filter.

YTD Amount = CALCULATE ( SUM('Input Data'[VIEWS_HOURLY_FILTERED]), 'Calendar Date Hour'[Year day is past] = TRUE )

jdbuchanan71_0-1620418097650.png

I have attached my updated copy of your file.

A couple of notes.  In your model you shouldn't have time in your calendar table.  If you need time you should split it into a seperate table and link them both into your fact tables.

You also want your date tables to go from Jan 1 of the first year to Dec 31 of the last year.  I have run into odd behavior when the date table contains partial years.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@themistoklis 

Not sure I fully understand but I think I do.  I added a column to your 'Calendar Date Hour' table to check if the day of the year is <= TODAY()

Year day is past = 
    VAR _Year = YEAR ( 'Calendar Date Hour'[Date] )
    VAR _Month = MONTH ( TODAY() )
    VAR _Day = DAY ( TODAY() )
    VAR _CompareDate = DATE ( _Year, _Month, _Day )
RETURN 'Calendar Date Hour'[Date]  <= _CompareDate

Then a measure to use that as a filter.

YTD Amount = CALCULATE ( SUM('Input Data'[VIEWS_HOURLY_FILTERED]), 'Calendar Date Hour'[Year day is past] = TRUE )

jdbuchanan71_0-1620418097650.png

I have attached my updated copy of your file.

A couple of notes.  In your model you shouldn't have time in your calendar table.  If you need time you should split it into a seperate table and link them both into your fact tables.

You also want your date tables to go from Jan 1 of the first year to Dec 31 of the last year.  I have run into odd behavior when the date table contains partial years.

Hello @jdbuchanan71 ,

This is what i wanted. I will make a few tweaks to Year day is past formula.

First Time that I use Time in Calendar table and I had a few difficulties to create certain measures because of time that i had to use. As you suggested maybe it is best if i split it into a separate table.

Great workaround though

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.