Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate YTD, LTD, MTD with month\year slicer

Hello,

I need to calculate  YTD, LTD and MTD measures after the users selects the month from a slicer. I have two data sources, one is the report data source and the other is a date dimension table which is linked with the report table in the Relationship tab base on the reportdate.

I put a slicer which contains the Year and Month and the formulas should be calculated based on the selected month.

The issue is that when I select a value in the month/year filter all the data is filtered based on the reportdate and the entities which do not have sums for the selected date are not shown. See attached March 2019 selection and October 2021 selection. In October 2021 I should have all the entities from March 2019, even if they have or not data in Oct 2021. Oct 2021 selection.pngMarch 2019 selection.png

So far I was not able to achieve this having the slicer and the relationship between the sources. Please advise. 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

In a formula if you add +0 or if you use time intelligence, you can get date beyond your selected values. (Time intelligence will group required time data in given month)

Other would if the interaction is off between two visuals then it can happen.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

If date join is inactive or you have used cross join in the formula it can also go beyond range .

This is how, you can get ytd, qtd and mtd

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))))
last year MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH)))
last year MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH))))
Month behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Month))
last QTR same Month (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Qtr))))
MTD (Year End) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])))
MTD (Last Year End) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH),"8/31")))

diff = [MTD Sales]-[last MTD Sales]
diff % = divide([MTD Sales]-[last MTD Sales],[last MTD Sales])

//QTD

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))

Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Last complete QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))
Next QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],1,QUARTER)))
Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)))
Last year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))))
trailing QTR = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))
trailing  4 QTR = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-4,QUARTER))
CALCULATE([Total Value], PREVIOUSQUARTER('Calendar'[Date]))

//YTD
YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last YTD complete Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

See if my webinar on Time Intelligence can help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-Y...

Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @amitchandak , I have created a date table and joined it with the fact table. Also, I have created a date slicer, which is not connected to the table, it does not filter data when a value is selected. I am trying now to use the selected value in the MTD formula, but I am getting several errors.  Do you have an example report to show what you were mentioning rearding the +0 in the formula? I have attached a print screport.pngreen with what I am trying to achieve. Thank you. Regards.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have a hard look at your data model and check which date columns you used for the display in your visuals. Hint: You should use the columns from the Dates table, not from the fact tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.