Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vijenkin
Employee
Employee

Calculate Total Progression Per Month

Hello I am trying to track the progression of work being done across several teams over monthly periods against a target per team and grand target acorss all teams, alll while showing the predicted work to be done in the next month. Essentially I would like to plot this data on a line chart as a visualization.

To give more context I have data on efforts being done by 7 teams spanning several months. Each team has a number of items they are analyzing out of a total that is different for each team but should add together to one target. As each team progresses they complete a number of work items per month and plan out how much work they want to get done in the following month. 

I want to know as time goes on how far along each team has completed against their target and how much every team has completed against the grand target. Here's some pretend data 

Data being Used

• Team Name
  • Total Work Done (Added Together from 3 different actions)
  • Total Future Work (Added together from 3 different actions)
  • Month
  • Total Work for each team 
  • Total Work Across All Team == 3500

TeamMonthTotal Work DoneTotal Work Planned (Next Month)Total Work (Per Teams)
BlueJan00500
RedJan1001001000
GreenJan10102000
BlueFeb5050500
RedFeb2002001000
GreenFeb5005002000
BlueMar--100500
RedMar--4001000
GreenMar--10002000

So let's say we are in the month of March. From a data perspective I want to see the both of the following results:

Result 1

Total Work Done per team per month

TramMonthTotal Work Done %Total Work Planned %
BlueJan0%0%
RedJan10%10%
GreenJan0.5%0.5%
BlueFeb10%10%
RedFeb20%20%
GreenFeb50%25%
BlueMar 20%
RedMar 40%
GreenMar 50%

Result 2

Total Work Done Across All Teams against Grand Target == 3500 per month

MonthTotal Work Done %Total Work Planned %
Jan3.14%3.14%
Feb21%21%
Mar---42%

From a visualization perspective this is what I am going for. Based of Result 2.Annotation 2020-05-29 222756.jpg

I will not be able to share the PBIX file or provide screenshots of the actual data for privacy reasons

P.S. I wrote this after working for 14 hours straight so please excuse any grammar or mathematical mistakes. 

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vijenkin , 

If your data is similar to your sample, you could refer to my sample for detail, use measure directly to achieve this goal. But  it seems that [Total Work Done] and [Total Work for each team] are measure instead of calculated column, right? If so, you could upload some simple data(use virtual data instead of real data) and expected output, then we could try to test this in our environment.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vijenkin , 

If your data is similar to your sample, you could refer to my sample for detail, use measure directly to achieve this goal. But  it seems that [Total Work Done] and [Total Work for each team] are measure instead of calculated column, right? If so, you could upload some simple data(use virtual data instead of real data) and expected output, then we could try to test this in our environment.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Zoe this worked. 

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

May I ask what you've come up with so far because it looks like most of that can be achieved with a couple of straightforward measures?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.