Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

navedkhan
Helper III
Helper III

Calculate Total No. of Working Days (in a calendar year or months) by way of measure

Hi  All - i need DAX Measure which can add up total number of Working Days when date range is selected in a slicer in PowerBi?

It has to be a measure !! Suppose date range selected is 10-Jan-2019 till 30-May-19, i want to know sum of working days between these two dates.

Any help would be helpful. Anyone please?

@Zubair_Muhammad 

@TomMartens 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @navedkhan 

I guess this will do the trick:

Number of WorkDays = 
var weekdays = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
return
SUMX(
    VALUES('Table1'[Date])
    , var isWeekDay = IF(WEEKDAY([Date],2) IN weekdays, 1, BLANK())
    return
    isWeekDay
)

From a personal point of view, I would not create a calculated column as there are repeated dates because your table is not a dedictated Calendar table, but this is just my personal thinking. And even a dedicated Calendar table would be of no help, as your requirement is to calculate the workingdays in your "fact" table.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JIGAR
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@navedkhan 

You can achieve this create a calculated column first. Below is the DAX.

IsWeekDay = if(WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date],2) <=5, 1,0)

After creating this column, you will have to create a measure. Below is the DAX

NoofWorking Days = CALCULATE(SUM(DimDate[IsWeekDay]))

Refer the screenshot below for a working sample.

Note - I have not taken public holidays into consideration here.
Capture.PNG

Hope this helps !!

Please mark the solution as accepted if it was appropriate.

Thanks

@JIGAR 

thanks for your guidance. i applied the steps as mentioned but am not getting exactly what you showed or i wanted;

after creating the measure am getting wierd totals between 30-Nov-18 till 31-May-19 am getting No. of Working Days=5609234 days which is incorrect.

Please note that i've only one Date column and those dates are repeated in various rows as it captures per entry of employees who have entered a premise. so i guess that's why its adding up and inflating actual no. of working days.

pls can you help resolve this further? and what to do to ignore Public Holidays?

Hi @navedkhan 

Can you try using DISTINCTCOUNT in your measure after creating the calculated column IsWeekDay as mentioned in the previous replies?

For example: CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[IsWeekDay]))

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Suguna.

No DISTINCTCOUNT doesn't work at all.... 

1) one column for Dates

2) when slicer is moved to and fro

i need to calculate total no. of working days between to and fro slicer selection. 

Pls suggest simple MEASURE!!

Hey @navedkhan 

I guess this will do the trick:

Number of WorkDays = 
var weekdays = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
return
SUMX(
    VALUES('Table1'[Date])
    , var isWeekDay = IF(WEEKDAY([Date],2) IN weekdays, 1, BLANK())
    return
    isWeekDay
)

From a personal point of view, I would not create a calculated column as there are repeated dates because your table is not a dedictated Calendar table, but this is just my personal thinking. And even a dedicated Calendar table would be of no help, as your requirement is to calculate the workingdays in your "fact" table.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

that worked fantastically. many thanks @TomMartens 

@navedkhan 

Hi,

Please try this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/equivalent-function-of-Networkdays-in-DAX/td-p/245103

Thanks,

Vivek

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Make some sort of column in your date table that highlights if a date is a Saturday/Sunday, and count the number of rows that aren't flagged. Can do similar with public holidays by making a list of when they are and joining it to your calendar table

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.