Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sfranchi
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Projected Inventory for next 12 months

Hi All,

I am new in the power bi world and hoping someone can help me. 

I've been trying to calculate a Projected Inventory for next 12 months for the last 2 weeks without any luck Smiley Sad

Data is based on input from the MRP (D365 - Supply Schedule). I am trying to replicate the same concept in D365 – Supply Schedule where users can view at high level and detail level.

Key Points;

1. Previous date (01/01/1900) will be used to determine yesterday opening, net and closing qty

2. Opening Qty = sum(On hand)

3. Net Qty =Qty Receipt + Qty Issue 

4. Closing Qty = Opening Qty + Net Qty. This will be opening qty for next month regardless if there is transaction on that particular month. 

5. If there is no net qty for particular month, opening and closing will be the same as per closing value of last month.

6. Need to calculate extended cost for point 2,3,4.

7. I only provided a sample of data. I am handling more than 250K to 500K data

DAX Calculation

Cal Opening Qty = sum(Requirement[On Hand]) +
                                      CALCULATE(sum(Requirement[On Hand]) + sum(Requirement[Net Qty]),
                                             FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Requirement,Requirement[ItemIDKey],Requirement[dataAreaId] ),
                                             Requirement[Month] < MAX(Requirement[Month])))
      Net Qty = sum(Requirement[net qty)
 Cal Closing Qty = sum(Requirement[On Hand]) +
                                      CALCULATE(sum(Requirement[On Hand]) + sum(Requirement[Net Qty]),
                                             FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Requirement,Requirement[ItemIDKey],Requirement[dataAreaId] ),
                                             Requirement[Month] < MAX(Requirement[Month])))

Extended Cost calculates by multyply above with cost

Outcomes;

Capture.JPG

Issues;

1. The opening qty does not carry over to next month due to no transactions (highlighted in yellow)

If there is no net qty, the opening and closing qty should be the same as per closing value of last month.

2. Opening, net and Closing value are calculated in-correctly (wrong). The calculation for Qty seems OK

3. Total value is incorrect.

The value should be

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I wanted to create a summary table by

1. AU/NZ

2. Vendor

3. Item level

Can someone please help me especially in DAX formula?

Cheers

SF

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @sfranchi 

It seems that the link doesn't work, please check it

That didn't work

We're sorry, but you can't be found in the nhp365-my.sharepoint.com directory. Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin (@lin),

It seems OK for me to downloadload the pbix but saying that i might have access to my one drive. I believe i need to give permission to my folder or do you have alternative that i could send the file?

Cheers

SF

Hi Lin (@

Try this link;

Pbix - Projected Inventory (Sample Data)

Please let me kn ow if it does not work.

Thanks

SF

hi, @sfranchi 

1. You could try this formula as a new logic

New Cal Closing Qty = var _predate= CALCULATE(MAX(Requirement[Month]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Requirement,Requirement[ItemIDKey],Requirement[dataAreaId]),Requirement[Month]<MAX('Calendar'[Date]))) return
IF(ISBLANK(SUM(Requirement[Net Qty])), CALCULATE([Cal Closing Qty],FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Requirement,Requirement[ItemIDKey],Requirement[dataAreaId]),Requirement[Month]=_predate)),[Cal Closing Qty])

But this will calculate for each month in Calendar table, for example: 2019/07 2019/08 2019/09... you must filter it or add a filter for it

2. Qty and Value have the same logic in your measure, what wrong with it.

3. This looks like a measure totals problem.  See this post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

Thanks for the formula. I used this formula to calculate Opening and Closing Qty (see below image)

Opening.JPG

Closing.JPG

The output;Total.JPG

The formula seems working. However the closing qty does not calulcate correctly.

Manual Calculation (correct answer)

Prior April 2019;

a. AU: Closing Qty: 4,295,670 + 391,474 = 4,687,144 (not 4,686,964)

b. NZ: Closing Qty: 433,465+38,818 = 472,283 (not 472,283)

c. Total: 5,159,427 (not 5,159,246)

When i filtered the report by item level, it's calculated correctly but not at Country level or summary level. Any suggestion what the issues are? 

I then went to the suggested website (Measure Totals - The Final Words). I tried all combinations how to calculate the total but i have no luck. One of the samples is as follows

New Close Qty.JPG

The output

output close2.JPG

Prior April 2019, the new Cal Close 2 figure is correct. Verry Happy. I thought i solved the issue.

However it stopped there. April, May and so on, the Cal Close 2 is incorrect.

Are you able to share some light regarding this matter? 

Many thanks in advance

Regards

SF

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

Are able to help me regadring the Total Qty (see below request)?

Also, i am struggling when i tried to calculate the Inventory Value

I used the same logic as in Qty;

Cost.JPG

Above formula should give me cost for all items by months. If i just used [WAC] it only calculate when there is a data.

[Wac] is weighted average cost from other table

I then used [cal avg cost] * [cal closing qty final]. It took long time to compute and eventually failed.

What did i do wrong? It's very frustating

Anyone can help!!

Thanks SF

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

Thanks for formula. I used the formula that you gave to calculate Opening and Closing Qty. The details are

Opening.JPG

Closing.JPG

Output:

Total.JPG

These formula seem working at item level (when i filtered only one item :).

However the closing Qty does not add up correctly at Country Level.

Manual calculation

Prior April 2019; Closing Qty should be

AU: 4,295,670 + 391,474 = 4,687,144 (Not 4,686,964).

NZ: 433,465 + 38,818 = 472,283 (Not 472,282)

Total: 5,159,427 (Not 5,159,246)

It's also happnening for next month and so on

I went to the website that you provided (to calculate total) - Measure Total, Final Words.

I tried different combinations yesterday and today but i have no luck. 

New Close Qty.JPG

The output is

output close2.JPG

I was so happy when i saw closing Qty (Cal Close 2) prior April 2019 is correct but it stopped there.

April, May, and so on are in correct.

Can you please help me regarding this matter?

Many thanks in advance 

Regards

SF

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.