Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ScotsSailor
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Percentage Difference Between Table Column Totals

I have a simple table showing values for two different years of data. I want to show the total year to year percentage difference in the last column (YOY % Change) in the total row at the bottom of the table. Here is the table.Capture.PNG

In Excel, I would just drop a simple formula in the cell. How do I show the percentage difference between the table column Totals? In effect (JV_tot - JV_tot_17)/JV_tot_17 for the total row?

Thanks for your help. I am obviously new to Power bi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ScotsSailor,

I tried re-creating your requirement and it seems to work the way that you are expecting it to work

I have created 2 measures and below are the codes for them

Measure = SUM(Table1[JV_Tot]) - SUM(Table1[JV_tot_17])
Measure 2 = [Measure]/SUM(Table1[JV_tot_17])

The Below is the screenshot

measure.PNG

One possiblity why the percentage not getting displayed in totals is, you have created the YOY Change and YOY% Change as columns and given don't summarize as the aggregation rule for YOY% change

Also keep in might for this creating YOY% Change as column will not give the right values for your total even if they start appearing in totals

Hope this solvesyour issue!!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ScotsSailor,

I tried re-creating your requirement and it seems to work the way that you are expecting it to work

I have created 2 measures and below are the codes for them

Measure = SUM(Table1[JV_Tot]) - SUM(Table1[JV_tot_17])
Measure 2 = [Measure]/SUM(Table1[JV_tot_17])

The Below is the screenshot

measure.PNG

One possiblity why the percentage not getting displayed in totals is, you have created the YOY Change and YOY% Change as columns and given don't summarize as the aggregation rule for YOY% change

Also keep in might for this creating YOY% Change as column will not give the right values for your total even if they start appearing in totals

Hope this solvesyour issue!!!

It did indeed solve the issue and you guessed it, I was using columns instead of measures. I'm very greateful for your prompt response. I am just beginning to understand Power BI, having spent quite some time with PowerQuery and Pivot tables.

Best regards,

ScotsSailor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.