Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

navarrobr
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Overtime

I have the following table representing available and worked hours for each employee, in each day:

DateEmployeeHoursHour Type
01/05/2016 Marcelo8available
01/05/2016Marcelo9worked
02/05/2016Marcelo8

available

02/05/2016Marcelo5

worked

03/05/2016Marcelo8

available

03/05/2016Marcelo9

worked

I created two measuares to represent the two different hour types "side by side":

Available Hours = calculate(sum(Table[Hours]);Table[Hour Type]="available")

Worked Hours = calculate(sum(Table[Hours]);Table[Hour Type]="worked")

Then I could create a pivot table like this:

DateEmployeeAvailable HoursWorked Hours
01/05/2016Marcelo89
02/05/2016Marcelo8

03/05/2016Marcelo8

TOTAL 24

Then i created a different measure, to calculate the overtime:

Overtime = if([Worked Hours]>[Available Hours];[Worked Hours]-[Available Hours];0)

The result was:

DateEmployeeAvailable HoursWorked HoursOvertime
01/05/2016Marcelo891
02/05/2016Marcelo8

03/05/2016Marcelo8

TOTAL 24

The problem is: the overtime is correct on the date level, but the result in the total level should be 2. What im I doing wrong?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @navarrobr,

In your scenario, you can create two new tables 'Woked' and 'Available', then build a relationship between those two tables. Please follow steps below:

1. Create 'Available' table.

Available = SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Date],"Available Hours",CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours]),'Table'[Hour Type]="available"))

z1.PNG

2. Create 'Worked' table' and a calculated column 'OverTime'.

Worked = SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Date],"Worked Hours",CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours]),'Table'[Hour Type]="worked"))

OverTime = IF('Worked'[Worked Hours]>RELATED('Available'[Available Hours]),[Worked Hours]-RELATED('Available'[Available Hours]),0)

z2.PNG

3. Build relationships.

z5.PNG

4. Create a table visual.

z4.PNGz3.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @navarrobr,

In your scenario, you can create two new tables 'Woked' and 'Available', then build a relationship between those two tables. Please follow steps below:

1. Create 'Available' table.

Available = SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Date],"Available Hours",CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours]),'Table'[Hour Type]="available"))

z1.PNG

2. Create 'Worked' table' and a calculated column 'OverTime'.

Worked = SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Date],"Worked Hours",CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Hours]),'Table'[Hour Type]="worked"))

OverTime = IF('Worked'[Worked Hours]>RELATED('Available'[Available Hours]),[Worked Hours]-RELATED('Available'[Available Hours]),0)

z2.PNG

3. Build relationships.

z5.PNG

4. Create a table visual.

z4.PNGz3.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I confirmed that the last column does not seem to be totaling for the column but rather doing the calculation for that Measure using the values in the Total row. I tested this by changing one of your 9's to a 19. My Overtime total (last row) ended up being 9, which was the difference between the total available and worked hours.

Should it work like this? Probably not I would suspect. You could file it under "Issues".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Here is what I would do. Delete all of your measures. Edit your query and pivot on your "Hour Type" column with "Hours" as your values column. Then, you just create a custom column for Overtime and put everything in a Table. No need for pivot tables or matrices and all the numbers work.

Overtime Column:

OvertimeHours = if([worked]>[available],[worked]-[available],0)

Here is the test query I used:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUNzDVNzIwNFPSUfJNLEpOzckHsiyAOLEsMTMnMSknVSlWB6dCSyAuzy/KTk2BqDIi1jjsCk3RjDMm1jjsCpFdFwsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Employee = _t, Hours = _t, #"Hour Type" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Employee", type text}, {"Hours", Int64.Type}, {"Hour Type", type text}}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[#"Hour Type"]), "Hour Type", "Hours", List.Sum)
in
#"Pivoted Column"

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I suspect that it is 0 in the total line because in the total line, your available hours exceed your worked hours. I'd have to test to be sure, but that is probably what is going on. You may have to ignore it and put a card visualization that just sums your Overtime.

Latest book!:

Yes, this is probably what is going on. But i really need to perform this calculation in the pivot table, my guess is that the formula in the measure "Overtime" is wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.