Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n3ptune
Helper II
Helper II

Calculate Occupancy per room type and free rooms per date.

I have sales  table with room bookings (hotel), i have also another room type table with the name and the number of each room type.

I have calculated the occupancy per room type with the formula 

IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE(DIVIDE([Total_rooms_booked];[Rooms_type_available_2020]);Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]>2019));0;CALCULATE(DIVIDE([Total_rooms_booked];[Rooms_type_available_2020]);Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]>2019))

then i made a new one so the matrix tables shows correct sum 

OCC %_2020_RTperDate = var _table = SUMMARIZE(Room_type_Qty;Room_type_Qty[Room_type];"occ20perrtyp";[OCC %_2020_perRT])
return
IF(AND(HASONEVALUE(Room_type_Qty[Room_type]);(HASONEVALUE(Date_Rev[Day])));[OCC %_2020_perRT];AVERAGEX(_table;[occ20perrtyp]))
but still the sum is not correct it's missing 4 or 5 rooms always from the calculation.

And then i want to calculate free rooms. if no room has been booked then it has to show the number of available rooms,  but many times it shows blank cells.
free rooms = CALCULATE([Rooms available_2020]-[Total_rooms_booked 2020];FILTER(Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]=2020))
how can i correct the blank cells?

Room types tableRoom types tablematrix table with occupied, free rooms ignor stopmatrix table with occupied, free rooms ignor stop

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

If 0 expected then try

free rooms = CALCULATE([Rooms available_2020]-[Total_rooms_booked 2020];FILTER(Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]=2020))+0

yes it fixed the blank cells , but it doesnt show me the correct empty rooms just 0.

so i changed the formula to

Free_room_types =
var currentyear = MAX(Date_Rev[Year])
var freeroomtypes = CALCULATE([Rooms_type_available_2020]-[Total_rooms_booked];FILTER(Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]=currentyear))+0
var maxpertype = [maxpertype]
return

if (ISBLANK(freeroomtypes);maxpertype;freeroomtypes)

and maxpertype = average[number_r] from the room type table

check the zero values, instead of number of each room type as occupancy is 0check the zero values, instead of number of each room type as occupancy is 0

the problem starts from here the room type table is  this one

rtype.PNG

so i create a measure called maxpertype = average(number_r) 

then there is an active relationship with the bookings table with room type to room type one to many.

so when i calculate the room types number available   for

2020 = 

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Date_Rev[Date].[Day]) * [maxpertype];Date_Rev[Year]>2019)
it works for the rooms that has already booked and there is a transaction inside the sales table.
for pres sui and db2eco there are no transactions , so this is the look now.

ta.PNG

for the others months its working as you can see tha variation between months with 30 and 31 days..

Hi @n3ptune ,

kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft thank you for replying

ill try to explain it better

so we have this table which is for room types

rtype.PNG

and this measure maxpertype = average(number_r)  so i can use the numbers for my calculations

then we have sales table which is like     15/01/20      1(for occupied)     sui(room type)   200(price)

16/01/20      1                            sui                     200

there is active relationship room types to sales table.

i want to create a table which will have occupancy per room types and free rooms per room type at rows

and date.day at columns. i have month filter slicer  so i can choose the month i want to visualize.

measure that affect the calculations are.

Rooms_type_available_2020 = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Date_Rev[Date].[Day]) * [maxpertype];Date_Rev[Year]>2019)
Total_rooms_booked 2020 = CALCULATE(SUM(sales[occ]);Date_Rev[Year] = 2020)
so
1.occupancy per room type =
CALCULATE(DIVIDE([Total_rooms_booked];[Rooms_type_available_2020]);Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]>2019)

this formula works for the most of days and room types , except those that there isnt any entry at sales table for specific dates  and it shows blank cells.

2.free rooms per type

CALCULATE([Rooms_type_available_2020]-[Total_rooms_booked];FILTER(Date_Rev;Date_Rev[Year]=2020))
so i get the correct results only at the dates that the previous measure occ per rtype works correct.
for the blank cells of occupancy measure i got blank cells also for free rooms per type as you can see from my pic.

new.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.