Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ISGirl

Calculate Monthly based on Cumulative Total

Hello, 

I am having issue with Power BI report. The datatsource is SQL server where data is loaded as cumulative total. But My goal is to alculate monthly based on cumulative total. 

Please see data sample below (Posted date is a calculated column in PBI and it's ralted to Calendar table). 

FiscalYearAccountingPeriodScenarioPeriodTypeAmountPosted date
20211ActualYTD$1001/31/2021
20212ActualYTD$2002/28/2021
20213ActualYTD$3003/31/2021

Your help is much appricicated. 

Thank you in advance!

ISGirl

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ISGirl Are the amounts in your table already cumulative amounts (i.e. there is no column that specifies the amount that each month had against it)?  If you have a monthly amount, you should be able to just drag the Amount field into a visual with the Period field without any measure.

TheoC_0-1634681615564.png

I may be misunderstanding what you are after? Apologies on my end.

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

I am so sorry for the misunderstanding! That is my bad.  This should help  

Monthly Amount = TOTALMTD ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , 'Table'[Posted Date] ) - CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , DATEADD ( 'Table'[Posted Date] , -1 , MONTH ) , ALL ( 'Table' ) )

TheoC_0-1634685026396.png

The above can be broken down using variables as follows:

Monthly Amount = 

VAR _TotalMth = TOTALMTD ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , 'Table'[Posted Date] )
VAR _TotalLstMth = CALCULATE( [Sum Amount] , DATEADD ( 'Table'[Posted Date] , -1 , MONTH ) , ALL ( 'Table' ) )

RETURN 

_TotalMth - _TotalLstMth

Hope this helps and apologies again!

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@ISGirl -

You might need some more tweaking if you have additional data but the example could serve as a template

Distributed Amount = 
DIVIDE(
    CALCULATE(
        MAX(TableName[Amount]),
        FILTER(
            ALL(TableName),
            TableName[FiscalYear]
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS(TableName),
        FILTER(
            ALL(TableName),
            TableName[FiscalYear]
        )
    )
)

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

12 REPLIES 12
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ISGirl,

Did the above suggestions help with your scenario? if that is the case, you can consider Kudo or accept the helpful suggestions to help others who faced similar requirements.

If these also don't help, please share more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario to test.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@ISGirl -

You might need some more tweaking if you have additional data but the example could serve as a template

Distributed Amount = 
DIVIDE(
    CALCULATE(
        MAX(TableName[Amount]),
        FILTER(
            ALL(TableName),
            TableName[FiscalYear]
        )
    ),
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS(TableName),
        FILTER(
            ALL(TableName),
            TableName[FiscalYear]
        )
    )
)

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @ISGirl 

Please use the below measure:

Cumulative Sum = TOTALYTD ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , 'Table'[Posted Date] )

Hope this helps 🙂

Theo

I need calculation that would return the oppoiste result 🙂

Jan =$100

Feb=$100

Mar=$100

@ISGirl my apologies, you should just be able to drag the Amount column without a measure if you are just after the monthly amount total?  

It still showing cumulative. Thank you so much for your help!

@ISGirl Are the amounts in your table already cumulative amounts (i.e. there is no column that specifies the amount that each month had against it)?  If you have a monthly amount, you should be able to just drag the Amount field into a visual with the Period field without any measure.

TheoC_0-1634681615564.png

I may be misunderstanding what you are after? Apologies on my end.

I don't have monthly amount (only for January), the rest of months are cumulative. So I need formula calculating monthly amount based on cumulative. 

I am so sorry for the misunderstanding! That is my bad.  This should help  

Monthly Amount = TOTALMTD ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , 'Table'[Posted Date] ) - CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , DATEADD ( 'Table'[Posted Date] , -1 , MONTH ) , ALL ( 'Table' ) )

TheoC_0-1634685026396.png

The above can be broken down using variables as follows:

Monthly Amount = 

VAR _TotalMth = TOTALMTD ( SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ) , 'Table'[Posted Date] )
VAR _TotalLstMth = CALCULATE( [Sum Amount] , DATEADD ( 'Table'[Posted Date] , -1 , MONTH ) , ALL ( 'Table' ) )

RETURN 

_TotalMth - _TotalLstMth

Hope this helps and apologies again!

Theo 🙂

@ISGirl can you kindly accept the solution I put forward as "solution" so as to close the topic? Many thanks! Theo

Thank you so much! It works perfectly fine for 2021. But if I have 2019 and 2020, do you think it will work?

Hi @ISGirl, absolutely 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors