Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimsLanding
Frequent Visitor

Calculate How Many Times a Text Value is displayed, within a Filter of another Column

I've looked all over as I thought this would be an easy solution, but there are things I still cannot wrap my head around on what DAX can do, or can't do. 

I have a Spreadsheet that I'm designing, that will eventually calculate Possible Hours, within a Report Period. By Possible Hours, I mean, 24 hours a day, not work hours. To get to this point, I need to create a calculated column that displays the COUNT of how many Days are within the selected Report Period. The Report Period is by Month, but here's the catch, I had to create a Column that showed for example, "January" Report Period is Nov 16 - Dec 15. 

So here is what I have so far,

TimsLanding_0-1675537772677.png

I'm trying to get a count of the Report Period Days, so if I could get a count of how many times "July" populates, which should be 31 (May 16 - June 15), it would achieve the desired result. I can then take that count of days and simply multiply it by 24 hours to get the Possible Hours within that Report Period. That's my next goal. 

What am I doing wrong so that I can count the amount of times July appears within that Year?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TimsLanding 

Try the following calculated column

DayInPeriod = var _filter=FILTER('Table',[Period]=EARLIER('Table'[Period])&&OR(YEAR(EOMONTH([Date],1))=EARLIER('Table'[Year]),YEAR(EOMONTH([Date],1))=EARLIER('Table'[Year])+1))
return COUNTROWS(_filter)

vxinruzhumsft_0-1675665252612.png

vxinruzhumsft_1-1675665271065.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TimsLanding 

You can refer to the following example

Create the calculated column

DayInPeriod = var _filter=FILTER('Table',[Period]=EARLIER('Table'[Period])&&[Year]=EARLIER('Table'[Year]))
 var _mindate=MINX(_filter,[Date])
 var _maxdate=MAXX(_filter,[Date])
 return DATEDIFF(_mindate,_maxdate,DAY)+1

vxinruzhumsft_0-1675647957596.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yolo Zhu, 

This formula is very close, I only see the issue in the Report Period of February (Dec 16 - Jan 15), I'm guessing because of the YEAR change. It shows "365" Days DEC 16 - DEC 31, then "15" for Jan 1 - Jan 15, is there a protection we can add so that specific Period is calculated differently?

Hi @TimsLanding 

Try the following calculated column

DayInPeriod = var _filter=FILTER('Table',[Period]=EARLIER('Table'[Period])&&OR(YEAR(EOMONTH([Date],1))=EARLIER('Table'[Year]),YEAR(EOMONTH([Date],1))=EARLIER('Table'[Year])+1))
return COUNTROWS(_filter)

vxinruzhumsft_0-1675665252612.png

vxinruzhumsft_1-1675665271065.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

You ROCK! It matches perfect with my Reference Column. I created a column IF, THEN, and IF "JULY" then 31, but I couldn't make 31 a value, it only took the text. So your method produces the value and I can use it for my measure. It's great, thanks again!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @TimsLanding ,

create a pbix that contains sample data, upload the pbix to onedrive, google drive, or dropbox. Share the link. If you are using Excel to create the sample data, share the xlsx as well.

I assume your data will span multiple years, so what about January 2022, how can the days be detected before the get counted?

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

The Link to an Edited Dashboard with a replica DateTable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mOstGeXtON3Powq4iRwRmbKSXVOAIm_z/view?usp=sharing

I think it'll make more sense when you look at the Reporting Period. Our reporting period is for example JULY = MAY 16-JUN 15, AUG = JUN 16 - JUL 15...etc. So now I need to create a calculation either by measure or calculated column of how many days are in that reporting period, so I can use that day count and multiply it by 24 to get the possible hours of it. 

The Link to an Edited Dashboard with a replica DateTable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mOstGeXtON3Powq4iRwRmbKSXVOAIm_z/view?usp=sharing

I think it'll make more sense when you look at the Reporting Period. Our reporting period is for example JULY = MAY 16-JUN 15, AUG = JUN 16 - JUL 15...etc. So now I need to create a calculation either by measure or calculated column of how many days are in that reporting period, so I can use that day count and multiply it by 24 to get the possible hours of it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.