Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Uki
Frequent Visitor

Calculate, Filter, All in calculated column in date table

Hi,

i have generic date table (DateDim) and a table with list of transactions ('orders by item') with related transaction date (order_date) column. I wanted to mark "busy days" in DateDim table to be able to filter out those days for some additional analytics.

I havem added a calculated column in Date dim:

is busy = IF(CALCULATE(SUM('orders by item'[price_gross]) > 10000, filter(all('orders by item'),'orders by item'[order_date] = DateDim[Date])),1,0)

but the part "all('orders by item') seem not to work - if i filter the data by client or any other dimension the sum of "is busy" in given month can change. What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

I got the problem finaly (thanks to you, I have discovered it making a screen for you and seeing that count on days in date table was showing 20 days in a month).

"Since you are creating a calculated column on table DateDim, the returned value of "is busy" should not be affected by the filters."

Actually it does if you have cross filter direction set to "both" in your calendar to facts table relation, as I for some misterious reason had! 

Thanks again
Łukasz

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Uki ,

I just create that calculated column "is busy" with same formula, it works well... But it seems it did not work in your scenario based on your description, then could you please provide your expected result and backend logic?

calculated column.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

This works correctly for the whole set of data, but if I filter the data in "orders by item" by for example a client (another dimension, among many others in 'orders by item"), then only the days when client had +10000 are marked as "busy". 

This is why I am looking for a way to other filters than date in my calculation.

Hi @Uki ,

Could you please provide some samples to describe the incorrect part in form of screen shot in order to make troubleshoting? Since you are creating a calculated column on table DateDim, the returned value of "is busy" should not be affected by the filters.

calculate, filter.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

I got the problem finaly (thanks to you, I have discovered it making a screen for you and seeing that count on days in date table was showing 20 days in a month).

"Since you are creating a calculated column on table DateDim, the returned value of "is busy" should not be affected by the filters."

Actually it does if you have cross filter direction set to "both" in your calendar to facts table relation, as I for some misterious reason had! 

Thanks again
Łukasz

Hi @Uki ,

Thanks for the information. Then whether your problem has been resolved? Is there anything else need help about this thread? If no, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? Thank you.

Best Regards

Rena

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Uki . Try like

is busy = IF(SUMX(filter('orders by item','orders by item'[order_date] = DateDim[Date]),'orders by item'[price_gross]) > 10000,1,0)

@amitchandak  the same effect i'm afraid. This works correctly for the whole set of data, but if I filter the data in "orders by item" by for example a client, then only the days when client had +10000 are marked as "busy".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.