Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrewDang
Helper IV
Helper IV

Calculate Elapsed Time for Different Statuses

Hello all;

I am trying to calculate elapsed time for different statuses for a work order.  For example, I have a work order with different status below. I would like to calculate elapsed time between two statuses, CEST and CPO, for example. It may return 0 or the difference. Please let me know if you have any suggestion on this. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Elapsed Time Question.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have found the solution to this problem with help from a friend.  I have created the following: 

StatusStartDate =
CALCULATE(
FIRSTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime], TRUE()),
ALLEXCEPT(v_WorkOrderStatuses, v_WorkOrderStatuses[WorkOrderNumber], v_WorkOrderStatuses[ChangeGroup],v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusCode])
)

StatusEndDate =
CALCULATE(
LASTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime], TRUE()),
ALLEXCEPT(v_WorkOrderStatuses, v_WorkOrderStatuses[WorkOrderNumber], v_WorkOrderStatuses[ChangeGroup], v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusCode]) )

and the durantion calculation below which returns an integer so that I could use it for my chart:

StatusDuration =
VAR StartDate = CALCULATE(
FIRSTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusStartDate], TRUE),
ALLEXCEPT(v_WorkOrderStatuses, v_WorkOrderStatuses[WorkOrderNumber], v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusCode], v_WorkOrderStatuses[ChangeGroup])
)

VAR EndDate = CALCULATE(
LASTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusEndDate], TRUE),
ALLEXCEPT(v_WorkOrderStatuses, v_WorkOrderStatuses[WorkOrderNumber], v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusCode], v_WorkOrderStatuses[ChangeGroup])
)
RETURN
IF( StartDate = EndDate,
(DATEDIFF(StartDate, TODAY(), DAY)),
DATEDIFF(StartDate, EndDate, DAY)

)

Let me know if you have any question on this. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AndrewDang You need to go to query editor and add Index column (starting 0) under Add Column tab to your dataset first. Once done then simply create calculated column using below DAX which will give you difference in seconds,

Difference = ROUND(24. * 60 * 60 * (
YOURTABLE[timeColumn] - IF(
YOURTABLE[IndexColumn] = 0,
YOURTABLE[timeColumn],
(LOOKUPVALUE(
YOURTABLE[timeColumn],
YOURTABLE[IndexColumn],
YOURTABLE[IndexColumn]-1)
))),1)

Thanks @ankitpatira

I have created the index colume as suggested by you. However, the index does not necessary start from 0 since we have too many other work order on the list. 

The image below shows the index for this particular work order. 

8-5-2016 10-52-17 AM.jpg

I have also created the following Measure but it does not seem to yield the right result. I am playing with this now but would love to have a hint or two from you if possible. 

Difference = ROUND(24. * 60 * 60 * (MIN(factWorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime]) - IF(
MIN(factWorkOrderStatuses[Index]) = 0,
MIN(factWorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime]),
(LOOKUPVALUE(
factWorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime],
factWorkOrderStatuses[Index],
MIN(factWorkOrderStatuses[Index])-1)
))),1)

Hi @AndrewDang,

If you would like to calculate the time duration between CEST AND CPO based on the same workorder, then we may take a try with the formula using calculated column below:
elapsedtime1 = DATEDIFF(
                                 LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet1[StatusDateTime], Sheet1[workOrderNumber], value(Sheet1[workOrderNumber]), Sheet1[StatusCode],"CEST"), 
                                 LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet1[StatusDateTime],Sheet1[workOrderNumber],value(Sheet1[workOrderNumber]),Sheet1[StatusCode],"CPO"),
                                 SECOND)

DATEDIFF Function would calculate the duration between two dates, count the result in seconds, minutes or hours, based on the last parameter configured, see:
DATEDIFF Function
And here we use LOOKUPVALUE function to locate the needed two dates.
LOOKUPVALUE Function (DAX)

See the testing result:
Capture.PNGUntitled1.png

If any further assistance needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks @v-caliao-msft. I really appreciate your help here.

I have created the calculated column as suggested by you but I run into this error. I will continue to troubleshoot this but any hint from you is also appreciated. The error is: "A tabble of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected". It looks like it is confused with the value that we tried to pass to the compare. 

8-15-2016 1-52-28 PM.jpg

Thanks;

Andrew

@v-caliao-msft

Charlie;

I don't know why but I have not been able to get the formula to work yet.  I keep getting the same error "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected" error. I have been googling but have not been able to identify the root cause of this.

Let me know if you can take another look?

Thanks;

Andrew

I have found the solution to this problem with help from a friend.  I have created the following: 

StatusStartDate =
CALCULATE(
FIRSTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime], TRUE()),
ALLEXCEPT(v_WorkOrderStatuses, v_WorkOrderStatuses[WorkOrderNumber], v_WorkOrderStatuses[ChangeGroup],v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusCode])
)

StatusEndDate =
CALCULATE(
LASTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusDateTime], TRUE()),
ALLEXCEPT(v_WorkOrderStatuses, v_WorkOrderStatuses[WorkOrderNumber], v_WorkOrderStatuses[ChangeGroup], v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusCode]) )

and the durantion calculation below which returns an integer so that I could use it for my chart:

StatusDuration =
VAR StartDate = CALCULATE(
FIRSTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusStartDate], TRUE),
)

VAR EndDate = CALCULATE(
LASTNONBLANK(v_WorkOrderStatuses[StatusEndDate], TRUE),
)
RETURN
IF( StartDate = EndDate,
(DATEDIFF(StartDate, TODAY(), DAY)),
DATEDIFF(StartDate, EndDate, DAY)

)

Let me know if you have any question on this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors