Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate Average based on time filter selected

Hi
I have 6 months' worth of data ranging from Jan to Jun 2019 (below is a sample of the dataset). I am trying to create average measure (daily/weekly/monthly excluding weekends) for the count of IDs. Ideally these averages should change if I select different time periods. But my average measures don't seem to work well. As I select a different time, say Jan and Feb, the daily average I got is not exactly daily average between Jan and Feb. What I got is the total daily averages of Jan and Feb

Eg: Daily average of IDs count 
Jan 1000
Feb 2000 
--> daily average I want should be (1000+2000)/2 = 1500. But what I got is 3000

Capture.PNG

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

You can create a measure using dax below:

Avg = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[IDs]), ALLSELECTED('Table'[Date]))

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for getting back @v-yuta-msft !

I want to exclude weekends from my average calculation. Will that function work in that case ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should probably rephrase my problem to make it clearer @v-yuta-msft 

My original dataset includes transactions settled during business days only (we call it settle dates)

Following instructions from other post, I create a calendar table and build daily/weekly/monthly average measures based on the count of work days in that calendar. These measure work well if they stand alone but will break if I put in a time slicer. Will very much appreciate any help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.