Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBIAnalist
Regular Visitor

Cadastral map in Power BI

Hi! 

I'm trying to integrate a cadastral map into power BI. I would love to be able to integrate the map into an Arcgis layered map, but a shape visual would also work. I tried to download the cadastral map from this site: https://www.pdok.nl/downloads/-/article/basisregistratie-kadaster-brk- (It is a dutch site with all kinds of free information). However the map is only downloadable in .XML format. I tried downloading this and then converting it to .JSON, but when I do this the map doesn't show any information. Is there anyone who can help me with integrating this map into Power BI? 

Thanks in advance! 

Liza

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @PowerBIAnalist 

Yes, I see, this is a new feature. Obviously, 'add map' feature can only be used on shape map. 

There is nothing on powerbi that can help you. But if you can change xml to json successfully. 

Maybe it will help using this converter:

XML To JSON Converter (convertjson.com)

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PowerBIAnalist
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-janeyg-msft , 

Thank you for your answer! So it's not possible to add my own map to an Arcgis map, but how about a shape map thats in the preview version? I've used this before with my own shapes of neighbourhoods in the Netherlands which I also downloaded from the PDOK site. I changed this file to a .JSON file and was able to upload the shape into the visual and it worked. However, I can't seem to get it to work for the Cadastral shape file. Do you know how I can create a .JSON file out of the cadastral map data which works if you upload it to the shape visual? 

Thank you in advance! 

Liza

Hello @PowerBIAnalist 

I don’t understand the meaning of 'upload the shape into the visual'. Can you explain it?

vjaneygmsft_0-1638775463567.png

Best Regards,

Hi @v-janeyg-msft , 

If you go to options and then preview-functions and turn on the shape-map. Then if you add the shape map to a page and add some address information to it, you can go to lay-out --> Shape and upload your own .JSON file under "add assignment" (I'm not sure what it is in English). For example when I did this for the neighbourhood visual it showed me all the neighbourhood blocks in Power BI. Does that make it clearer?

Liza

Hi, @PowerBIAnalist 

Yes, I see, this is a new feature. Obviously, 'add map' feature can only be used on shape map. 

There is nothing on powerbi that can help you. But if you can change xml to json successfully. 

Maybe it will help using this converter:

XML To JSON Converter (convertjson.com)

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @PowerBIAnalist 

I'm afraid not, Powerbi need to data(Latitude and longitude) to analyze. There is no such thing as importing a map.

This document is very detailed about how to use ArcGIS map, you can refer:

Interacting with an ArcGIS map that has been shared with you - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.