Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

egsiegel
Frequent Visitor

CY, PY, PTYD

I have a table that holds data on how many calls where taken in a day.

I also have a date table that goes out to 2025 which allows me to show future dates py sales

DateCalls TakenPY Calls taken (measure using sameperiodlastyear)
2/1/20211000900
2/2/202115001100
2/3/202112501200
2/4//2021 1500
2/5/2021 1200
2/6/2021 1600

I need to create a Gauge Visual that show CY Calls as the Value,  PY Calls for the entire year as the Maximum Value, and PYTD days as the Target value.

If I set the visual filter to Dates.Date = This Year and put the CY field in the Value and the PY field in the Maximum...those two pieces work.

I am struggling with getting a PYTD field to display correctly.   I have tried various methods including 

PYTD Calls = CALCULATE([CY Calls],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Dates[Date]),Dates[Date] < TODAY())

but I still get the total year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
egsiegel
Frequent Visitor

I got it!!!!

PYTD Calls = CALCULATE ( [PY Calls], FILTER ( Dates, [date] <TODAY() ) )
seems to work

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
egsiegel
Frequent Visitor

I got it!!!!

PYTD Calls = CALCULATE ( [PY Calls], FILTER ( Dates, [date] <TODAY() ) )
seems to work

Thanks for your help
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@egsiegel , refer to these example with date table

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))

forcing the date

YTD QTY forced=
var _max = today()
return
if(max('Date'[Date])<=_max, calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date])), blank())
//or
//calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))
//calculate(TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))

LYTD QTY forced=
var _max = date(year(today())-1,month(today()),day(today()))
return
if(max('Date'[Date])<=_max, CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max), blank())
//OR
//CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year),'Date'[Date]<=_max)

YTD QTY forced=
var _max = maxx('order',[Order date])
return
calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),'Date'[Date]<=_max)

YTD QTY forced=
var _max = maxx('order',[Order date])
return
if(max('Date'[Date])<=_max, calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date])), blank())
//calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))
//calculate(TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))

LYTD QTY forced=
var _max1 =maxx('order',[Order date])
var _max = date(year(_max1)-1,month(_max1),day(_max1))
return
CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year),'Date'[Date]<=_max)

@amitchandak 

thank you for your very detailed reply.

Unfortunately, I get the same result that I was getting before.

the problem is that my table has rows for the entire year....rows through today have CY and PY numbers.  future dates only have PY numbers.

when I use the PY field in a visual it includes all future dates PY...giving me the full year amount.  (which I also need)

I think I need 3 fields...

CY - (from data source)

PY - CY sameperiodlastyear

PYTD - CY sameperiodlastyear if the date is today or earlier, else 0....this is the one I am struggling with.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.