Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sergey_shvets

CSV hosted on OneDrive for Business as data source for Power BI desktop

Hi! 

I have a local report that I built as a proof of concept in Power BI desktop that uses a couple of CSVs exported from other sources. Everything works great and I like what I got so far. Now, I want to setup automatic update for this report and here is where I'm stuck. 

1) I uploaded my files to OneDrive business and were able to load them using Power BI Service online, but only one by one. Is there a way to gather them as one data source? 

2) I tried to import CSV file to Power BI desktop and failed. I've opened my CSV file from OneDrive using Excel for desktop, looked into the URL of the file and added it as a Web Source. It gave me credentials window and I've chosen "Organizational Account" and entered my OneDrive creds there. When trying to proceed with adding creds it says that "Unable to authenticate with this credentials".  

3) More general question: it is unclear to me if I add data source from OneDrive in PowerBI Desktop and then publish a report to the PowerBI Service, will it actually update files from OneDrive or I'll need to do that manually anyways? 

In short, here is what I want to achieve: 

1) Setup scripts that will do daily exports of outlined CSVs and upload them somewhere for Power BI to access. 

2) Power BI Service will update data and tiles on the regular basis and show the report to the people with access.

3) I'll need to do changes to the report and enhance it over time, so I need a way to get latest state and data from Power BI Service and be able to do some changes and Publish updated report to the Power BI Service and save all the refresh procedures and access for the people who has access to see it. 

Any tip would be helpful!

Thanks,

Sergey

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sergey_shvets,

Could you try the solution below to see if it works in your scenairo? Smiley Happy

1. Upload your CSV files to OneDrive for Business.

2. In Power BI Desktop, get data from uploaded CSV files on OneDrive.

3. Save and upload the .PBIX file to OneDrive for Business.

3. In Power BI Service, click Get Data ->Files-> OneDrive-Business, then check the uploaded .PBIX file.

Regards

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sergey_shvets

Have you had a look at this blog post from Microsoft explaining how to do this from Power BI desktop?

I think that this would solve your issue?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-onedrive-business-links/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for reply @GilbertQ, I tried this and I'm not able to get it working for some reason. I described it under point 2 in the original post. I also confused how this kind of setup will work for updating report inside the Power BI service itself? 

Hi @sergey_shvets

It should work as expected I am not sure why it is not connecting to your OneDrive for Business.

As once it is connected it then will not need the Gateway to refresh the data because it should be seeing the Source data as coming from OneDrive for Business.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.