Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

CSV file issue

Hi, 

I'm trying to import a CSV file that is using commas as separator. But once I import the data, then some rows are separated and some not. If I try it in Excel, then it separates all the rows, but not in Power BI. 

I also tried custom separator and then typed ',' there, but it also didn't work. 

What might be the issue here? 

Thank you for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem was with the file. After downloading it from the source system, I didn't open and save it as a csv file anymore, but just took the file from the Downloads folder and now it works. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
viacka
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've just faced that issue as well. Just in case someone still needs the solution: the easiest way so far is to set the QuoteStyle parameter to QuoteStyle.Csv of the Csv.Document function in the Advansed editor of your connection. 

As the documentation states (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/csv-document😞
QuoteStyle: Specifies how quoted line breaks are handled. QuoteStyle.None (default): All line breaks are treated as the end of the current row, even when they occur inside a quoted value. QuoteStyle.Csv: Quoted line breaks are treated as part of the data, not as the end of the current row.

Thank you very much!!!!

Gazzer
Resolver II
Resolver II

Are you able to take a screenshot of what you see when it fails?

I often have CSV files which include carriage returns within fields and these can cause the rows and columns to get a bit messed up. It might be worth checking this first, although I would expect you to have an issue opening in Excel if this were the case. To check/correct this, open the source item and set Line Breaks to "Ignore".

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Gazzer

From where can I find the line breaks option, as when I import the file with Text/CSV option, then this is what I get: 

example csv.PNG

You have to go back to the Source step after the initial import.

Go to the Applied Steps section on the right-hand side and click the little gear wheel icon next to "Source" to edit the import settings. It should look a bit like the image in my previous post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gazzer Unfortunately, it didn't help. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem was with the file. After downloading it from the source system, I didn't open and save it as a csv file anymore, but just took the file from the Downloads folder and now it works. 

Hi @Anonymous

Glad to hear you got there in the end.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.