Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

CSV combined files: Too slow refreshing (even blocks the computer)

Hi,

I'm working with a set of csv files on a folder, where there is a new file everyday.

I started building the data model with only two files, and even then the refresh response was slow, but as soon as I connect the rest of the files (even 2-3 more), the refreshing time is absurdly high, even blocking the computer.

I tried to simplify the files (each one has 75 columns, but I can delete just about 10-12 of them) but as it needs to have calculated columns I can't get rid of many. Date intelligence is off.

I'm happy to share the pbix file or provide more info if needed, in case someone can help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sayali,

What I did to get the csv files is Get Data > Folder > select the folder. Then in the next steps got rid of some columns I don't need. 

Now I'm trying a different approach, merging all csv into one and then treat the data. Seems to be a bit faster, although it's given me a 299Mb file to work with and takes about 5' to refresh. However, so far it doesn't block the computer or stop... 

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

If all your .csv filed have the same structure, you can use the Folder connector and let Power Query combine the files for you, and then do some optimazations for the data source such as remove uncessary columns, rows etc which would be helpful to reduce the data size and the refreh time.

Please refer: Data reduction techniques for Import modeling 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sayaliredij
Super User
Super User

Hi 

I was checking a few things and the data does not look like too much. As there were no CSVs I could not really test anything. But My assumption is you are trying to loop through all the CSVs in a folder. and looping is always slow because it can not parallelize any actions 

Correct me if I am wrong

but instead of looping, you can always use Folder Feature in "Get data" which's quite fast. 

If you don't have that option and I have few suggestions

1.  Your Main problem is following columns

sayaliredij_0-1618312720273.png

2. I understand you need start time and end time - here do you need on the second level? this is something you can adjust keeping it only hour and minute level

3. You can check ID columns if they are really required eg. XHOTEL_ID or XRESERVA_ID

4.  Same with Codes eg. 

sayaliredij_1-1618312871676.png

Above columns are most expensive one. try if you can get rid of them

Regards,

Sayali

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sayali,

What I did to get the csv files is Get Data > Folder > select the folder. Then in the next steps got rid of some columns I don't need. 

Now I'm trying a different approach, merging all csv into one and then treat the data. Seems to be a bit faster, although it's given me a 299Mb file to work with and takes about 5' to refresh. However, so far it doesn't block the computer or stop... 

Hi @Anonymous ,

If all your .csv filed have the same structure, you can use the Folder connector and let Power Query combine the files for you, and then do some optimazations for the data source such as remove uncessary columns, rows etc which would be helpful to reduce the data size and the refreh time.

Please refer: Data reduction techniques for Import modeling 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sayaliredij
Super User
Super User

You can add in One-drive or Drop box and share the link

Regards,

Sayali

sayaliredij
Super User
Super User

It would be good to have PBIX. 

Could you please share it will help to understand whats going on?

Regards,

Sayali

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://1drv.ms/u/s!BMuMkTAe9Ey13hvwXZQJjvyFFLCw?e=s65Kbo

I've put it here. Please let me know if it's okay.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.