Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CREATE A TABLE VISUALIZATION WITH A RANGE OF DATES

Hi to everyone,

I have a table of dates (referring to transactions) and I want to create a range of dates between two specified dates.

I want to visualize the result on a table visualization, how can I do it?

I already tried with these 3 functions:

(some examples)

DATESBETWEEN -> DATESBETWEEN(Dates[DataUltimaTxn];DATE(2009;12;09);DATE(2014;01;08))

DATESINPERIOD -> DATESINPERIOD(Dates[DataUltimaTxn];DATE(2014;01;08);-30;DAY)

CALENDAR -> CALENDAR(DATE(2009;12;09);DATE(2014;01;08))

but all of them give me the same error when I try to visualize the result on a table. The error is:

"A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

Can you help me? How can I visualize multiple dates on a table?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, not necessarily a great solution, but you could do something like create a new column with a formula such as:

Date Range = IF(TODAY()-[Date] = 0,"Today",IF(TODAY()-[Date] < 30,"< 30 Days",IF(TODAY()-[Date] < 60,"30 - 60 Days","> 60 Days")))

Then, create a slicer based on Date Range. You click the slicer, it filters the visualizations on the page to those date ranges.

Obviously, this does not give the user the ability to enter specific dates and such.

I know that parameters or input fields have been a fairly reoccuring feature request.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
aksh
Employee
Employee

When I use the below formula I get an error :"A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected"

DatesinPeriod(Table[Invoice Date],Max(Table[Invoice Date],-3,Month)

whereas If I use the above formula with NumberofIntervals paratmeter as 3 i.e DATESINPERIOD(Table[Invoice Date],MAX([Invoice Date],3,MONTH) , it does not throw any error

What is the problem?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are trying to do, but what about just using visualization/report/page filters?

Table

Date                  Column1            Column2

1/1/2016            xx                      yy

1/2/2016            xx                      yy

1/3/2016            xx                      yy

You would set your filter for values in Date after 12/31/2015 AND before 1/4/2016 for example.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi smoupre,

you're right, and thank you for the solution. But I expressed myself badly.

Your solution is perfect if I insert manually the values, but if want to use two calculated value like function TODAY() or TODAY()-30 as values? How can I solve it?

. . .

Meanwhile, do you know something about the implementation of "input fields" in Power BI? They would be perfect for me as a solution.

Still thank you so much for your fast answer!

So, not necessarily a great solution, but you could do something like create a new column with a formula such as:

Date Range = IF(TODAY()-[Date] = 0,"Today",IF(TODAY()-[Date] < 30,"< 30 Days",IF(TODAY()-[Date] < 60,"30 - 60 Days","> 60 Days")))

Then, create a slicer based on Date Range. You click the slicer, it filters the visualizations on the page to those date ranges.

Obviously, this does not give the user the ability to enter specific dates and such.

I know that parameters or input fields have been a fairly reoccuring feature request.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks smoupre, it's a great solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filtering on a dynamic date range is possible but the best solution will probably depend on your data source and model design.

For example we're using SSAS Multidimensional and have added a set of flags to our date dimension to show current month, year etc. We then just have to use these flags in a filter and the date range moves every time the report is refreshed.

You could do similar things in an SQL source or by adding a calculated column into your model after the data is loaded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.