Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Skotzmun
Frequent Visitor

COUNTX but including a calculated column that is TRUE or FALSE

I asked a question last month about counting values based on dates, which was wonderfully answered by @v-robertq-msft. With a dataset representing the last time a series of media-playing "Faces" connected back to control I wanted to know how many had connected within 48 hours of the latest date in the "last connected" field. I've got this  sorted and even been able to add extra filters into the count.

This is a link to a .PBIX containing example data - https://we.tl/t-iBoqNLm4pB

The original stuff is in the table (Players), and Robert's solution is powering the upper gauge visual on display with the Measure Online48HoursAll

However, I now have a second table called (SpecialPlayers) that lists a subset of the records in the first (for example, this could be Faces operating in a certain region). I've related these two using [FaceID] and then created a new column [IsSpecial] in (Players) that returns TRUE if that FaceID is in (SpecialPlayers), or FALSE otherwise. 

I now want to do the same count into the lower gauge, but only consider those players where [IsSpecial] is TRUE. I can filter the total count easily enough by using [IsSpecial] as a filter on the visual, but I cannot figure out the way to use [IsSpecial] to modify the new Measure Online48HoursSpecial to do the same.

I'm guessing it's partially to do with COUNTX not being for logical counts, but I've not been able to include a calculated column in the ...Special Measure even when I added a calculated number value column that was the first digit of the timestamp.

Any assistance, as ever, hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Skotzmun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The problem is that your counting measure removes all filters on the Players table with ALL.

Instead of ALL ( Players ), try using ALLSELECTED ( Players ) or simply Players depending on what your goal is.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The problem is that your counting measure removes all filters on the Players table with ALL.

Instead of ALL ( Players ), try using ALLSELECTED ( Players ) or simply Players depending on what your goal is.

Hi Alexis

Brilliant - that works nicely. Thanks. 🙂

So to make sure I understand my error properly, am I right in saying:

ALL(Players) causes the Measure to completely bypass any filters set for the visual / page / all pages

ALLSELECTED(Players) will take into account any filters set on the visual / page / pages

If so, this looks like a great basis for my next expansion, which is to associate the REGION to each Player from the (SpecialPlayers) relationship and then filter for online in that region.

EDIT: I just tried it and it worked like a charm for my regional switching... thanks even more than before. 😄

Thanks again for the quick and concise response.

KR

Skotzmun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.