Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlyssaP17
Helper I
Helper I

COUNT ROWS/FILTER & PERCENT DIFFERENCE

I am working on a data set where I need to find the percentage change from 2019 to 2020. My data is structured as follows:

Table

Case NumberOpened Fiscal Year

I have tried the following and cannot get past the count/filter expressions. Any tips are apprecatied. 

FY20Cases = CALCULATE( 
                                                 COUNTROWS(Table), 
                                                    FILTER(Table,Table[Opened Fiscal Year="2020"), 
FY19Cases CALCULATE( 
                                                 COUNTROWS(Table), 
                                                    FILTER(Table,Table[Opened Fiscal Year="2019"), 
DIFF=[FY20 CASES]-[FY19CASES] 

DIFF%= (DIFF/[FY19CASES])*100 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

if your duplicate is on case number then do a distinctcount() rather than a countrows

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Ive rerun your code and it works for me, see attached.

check your data types that might be an issue

also what error messages are you getting can you get a screenshot.

see the attached power bi file

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg 

UPDATE! I have figured out the issue - I have duplicate rows for a reason that is why the numbers are higher. Any idea on how to work around that?

I re-ran the code and it works. But the outputs are not correct. By using a pivot table I can see what the total cases were for FY19 and FY20.  I will check my data types. See image below. 

AlyssaP17_0-1600970526376.png

if your duplicate is on case number then do a distinctcount() rather than a countrows

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

when you say you can't get past it, what are you expecting in comparison to what you are getting?

@vanessafvg I receive errors on the formulas. I am not getting anything in return. I have tried to rework the formulas and tried new expressions but I only receive errors. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.