Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

COUNT IF Measure in Query Editor

So I have a column which holds a text string which is populated from a list of options the user can select from. The column holds an error reason. I want to calculate total errors based on this column.

There is an error reason of "No Error" so I would want these excluded from the count.

So I was thinking a new column with a formula similar to =COUNTIF([Error Reason]<>"No Error",1,0) would be perfect, sadly COUNTIF isn't recognised in Query Editor (I believe it uses M Language??) so what should I do?

Thanks!

Jemma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you are not aggregating, but just want 0 or 1 flag for each row.

= if [error reason] <> "No Error" then 1 else 0

If you want to count errors. Otherwise, just reverse 0 & 1.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Oh, as FYI. Measure is done in DAX in data model and not in Query stage using "M".

If you want COUNTIF measure...

Try something like

CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Column), FILTER(Table, [Column]="SomeCondition"))

Or just use appropriate visual (matrix etc) with appropriate row context, using COUNT() as measure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chihiro,

Cool name btw. Like from the Ghibli film Spirited Away.

I wanted it to be a new column which I created in Query Editor therefore not using DAX. So a column which would hold a 1 or a 0 for each row of data based on the value in the column [error reason].

So you're right, not a measure, just a new column. Are you able to suggest the M code for an equivalent COUNTIF function?

Thanks! 🙂 

If you are not aggregating, but just want 0 or 1 flag for each row.

= if [error reason] <> "No Error" then 1 else 0

If you want to count errors. Otherwise, just reverse 0 & 1.

Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You should use Group by function. And group data based on the column(s), using COUNT as aggregation.

If you don't want the final result to be aggregated, you can join it back to original table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.