Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

CONCATENATEX DAX sort by value does not work

I am currently a little desperate, because I have been sitting on the following problem for several days:

With the help of Power Query I load all excel files in a folder, change the data in Power Editor and load the data model into an Excel file.
Basically I have 3 columns: Project ID, customer name and project volume. I want to display them in a pivot table and sort them in descending order by project volume. The Project ID I have row field and the other two as values. 

Example.PNG

To display the customer name as text, I use the following DAX formula:

=CONCATENATEX(VALUES(_2020[Project/Client Name]);_2020[Project/Client Name];",";[Sum of Project Volume]; DESC)

Unfortunately, however, the table can no longer be sorted by project volume after I have displayed this measure as a value. Neither by sorting as expression in the formula, nor by the usual way.

Can anyone help me? I am very grateful for any advice!

Many greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

After trying for many hours to resolve this issue with almost all approaches, I found the trigger to solve the problem.

I accidentally restricted the characters in the Customer Name column by using the pull function in the Power Editor. Suddenly, it worked to filter the customer's name by project volume! I'm not sure if this is the reason for the problem or if the real reason is deeper. But it solves my problem.

I hope this post helps some great users out there! Have fun

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

After trying for many hours to resolve this issue with almost all approaches, I found the trigger to solve the problem.

I accidentally restricted the characters in the Customer Name column by using the pull function in the Power Editor. Suddenly, it worked to filter the customer's name by project volume! I'm not sure if this is the reason for the problem or if the real reason is deeper. But it solves my problem.

I hope this post helps some great users out there! Have fun

Ah, sounds like perhaps you broke a relationship or something? Thanks for the update!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm not sure why you couldn't sort it by Project Volume, that does not make sense to me.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.