Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sokol
Frequent Visitor

COALESCE breaks filtration

Hi!

I received a task to update some existing reports due to internal changes in the structure of the company. From some point of time they will replace/rename/divide/union their zones in a new way. So they want to see zones that were active in a selected period of time.

I thought it would be a relatively easy task until I started testing new data. I added a table that shows which zone is active/nonactive in some year/month and connected it to the dataset.

But it seems that COALESCE function which is used heavily through reports breaks the filtration I set up.

For example in my test report -  zone 1 and zone 2 is active on 1 and 2 months and starting from month 3 they are deactivated. For zone 3 the situation is opposite. 

Sokol_0-1669805227471.png

So I expect that the fact table should show only active zones, but it shows all 3 despite the selected month.

Sokol_1-1669805254781.png

Sokol_5-1669805323850.png

Sokol_6-1669805421683.png

I'm trying to come up with some solution that would require as less modifications of existing DAXes as possible.

But it seems that I'm missing something obvious.

Please help!

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sokol ,

I'm a little confused about the active type of zonId 3. In the data source is False, why is it True here?

20.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Have the same question) 

It seems like COALESCE breaks relations. But how, and how to cope with it - that is what bothers me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.