Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

allmightBI
Regular Visitor

CANT USE APP IN POWER BI DESKTOP

Hi, problem is simply:

I have an app (from appsource) in my web PowerBI, so i need to use it in power bi desktop.

The problem is i cant find the form to use it in desktop, it didnt appear.

How can i connect the app to my bi desktop? i tried publishing the app, but it didnt work.

Please your help ty. also my license is pro.

Regards, and thanks in advance

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @allmightBI ,

In power bi service, apps are divided into third-party apps and custom apps by users. When you use third-party apps, you cannot download reports in it and use them in power bi desktop. When you use custom apps by users, you should have edit permission and the admin has turned on the ability so that you can download and use reports in power bi desktop.

For further information about download reports, you can refer the following Microsoft document that can help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @allmightBI ,

In power bi service, apps are divided into third-party apps and custom apps by users. When you use third-party apps, you cannot download reports in it and use them in power bi desktop. When you use custom apps by users, you should have edit permission and the admin has turned on the ability so that you can download and use reports in power bi desktop.

For further information about download reports, you can refer the following Microsoft document that can help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

UAV-Test-Pilot
Helper II
Helper II

Which appsource app are you connecting to?

Appsource contains content packs created by owner of that data, so you are actually looking at predefined PowerBI reports created by their dev team. 

What exactly do you want to do? There are many options and the answer depends on your goal. Do you want to use the same data as shown in the app from appsource, but in desktop so you can create your own report?

Does this microsoft document help? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-connect-to-services

Thanks for the quick answer,

The app is Microsoft project web app,  as you said i want to use the same data as shown in the app from appsource, but in desktop so i can create my own report.

in other words, im trying to use the template (models), but all with my own data. all i want to do in desktop.

is that possible? or i have to build it from zero (0).

thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.