Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gp93
Helper I
Helper I

CALCULATE and FILTER With Text column

Hi all,

I am quite new to DAX after mainly working with excel and I am struggling to get my head around something where the logic to me is sound.

minutesPercent = DIVIDE(
                    'bio agentStatus'[durationTotal],
                    CALCULATE(SUM('bio agentStatus'[statusDuration]),'bio agentStatus'[statusID])
                    ,0)

The above code works completely fine - however I have another column in the table that i have got from merging queries with another table - a text field called description which directly relates to statusID. Why is that this works but if i swap out statusID with description (so that i can display the descriptions on the visual) it doesn't?

Apologies if this has been posted before - I have looked around but couldn't find a solution that worked when i implemented it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me - I think I must have not explained this very well as I managed to solve it with this:

minutesPercent = DIVIDE(
                    CALCULATE(SUM('bio agentStatus'[statusDuration]),ALL('bio agentStatus'[bio status.description (groups)]))
                    ,0)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gp93,

Nope, you can't use math function to calculate with text value except count.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you create measure with calculate and text function to get current desktop, then drag it to tooltip field to display description.

Sample:

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    CONCATENATEX (
        VALUES ( 'bio agentStatus'[statusDuration] ),
        [statusDuration],
        ","
    ),
    VALUES ( 'bio agentStatus'[statusID] )
)

Reference link:

Text Functions (DAX) - With these functions, you can return part of a string, search for text within a string, or concatenate string values. Additional functions are for controlling the formats for dates, times, and numbers.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me - I think I must have not explained this very well as I managed to solve it with this:

minutesPercent = DIVIDE(
                    CALCULATE(SUM('bio agentStatus'[statusDuration]),ALL('bio agentStatus'[bio status.description (groups)]))
                    ,0)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.