Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CALCULATE and DISTINCTCOUNT with condition

Hi all,

I have a table that looks similar like the table you can see below. In column "Total" I can see the number of products a customer bought. What I want to know is, how many customers are there who bought products of a different kind (cross-sell > e.g. P1 and P2).

For now I have a formula/measure which gives me back the customers, who bought more than one product : Measure = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Customer],(FILTER('Table','Table'[Total]>=2)). The result for this example is Measure = 3, but the right result would be 2 (because customer A doesn't count, only bought P1 twice > no cross-sell). What I'm struggling with is a further condition which is testing if the customer bought not only two products, but two different kind of products. 

Based on this example, how would the formula look like?

Customer

Total

P1

P2

P3

P4

A

B

C

D

Thanks in advance!

Felix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

Still strongly recommend you to change your data format.If you want to keep the current one. you can try below workaround.

create a column

Count = 
VAR P1=if('Table'[P1]=0,0,1)
VAR P2=if('Table'[P2]=0,0,1)
VAR P3=if('Table'[P3]=0,0,1)
VAR P4=IF('Table'[P4]=0,0,1)
RETURN P1+P2+P3+P4

create a measure

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),'Table'[Count]>=2)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may refer to my solution here - Identify Customers that Organisations can upsell or cross sell their products to

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

you can try below step.

1. you don't need total column

2. in PQ, select customer column and unpivot other columns

1.png2.PNG

3. create a measure

Measure = 
VAR tbl=SUMMARIZE(FILTER('Table','Table'[Value]>0),'Table'[Customer],"_value",COUNTROWS('Table'))
VAR tbl2=FILTER(tbl,[_value]>=2)
return COUNTROWS(tbl2)

3.PNG

please see the attachment below

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ryan_mayu Thanks for your reply!

Is there an other way without unpivoting my table to get the desired result? When I'm following your steps, my other measures and calculations don't work anymore, but I don't want to create a new table besides my main table. So it would be nice to get the result just by using a correct formula for the measure. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

@Anonymous 

Still strongly recommend you to change your data format.If you want to keep the current one. you can try below workaround.

create a column

Count = 
VAR P1=if('Table'[P1]=0,0,1)
VAR P2=if('Table'[P2]=0,0,1)
VAR P3=if('Table'[P3]=0,0,1)
VAR P4=IF('Table'[P4]=0,0,1)
RETURN P1+P2+P3+P4

create a measure

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),'Table'[Count]>=2)

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

In Power Query, you can duplicate or reference your main table (if you need to keep the original data), then perform the following steps on your new table to see how many different products each customer bought.

In Power Query, go to New Source>Blank Query then in Advanced Editor paste my code over the default code. You can then follow the steps I took to complete this.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTICYgM4jtWJVnKC8gzhGCTqjCSCUOuCIgIWjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [customer = _t, P1 = _t, P2 = _t, P3 = _t, P4 = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"customer"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", each ([Value] <> "0")),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"customer"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

This gives me the following ouput:

BA_Pete_0-1607095829974.png

You should then be able to relate this to your main table in the model on [customer] to use in visuals/measures.

Pete 

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.