Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

1_4m_n0t_4_r080
Frequent Visitor

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AutoRecovery is not accessible

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AutoRecovery is not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Power Bi keeps kicking out a "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." error, while opening and then gets stuck.

Found that the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AutoRecovery was kicking out the same error, when I go to look at it.

I have uninstalled Power Bi, but the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\ is still there.

I want the completely remove the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\ directory and reinstall a fresh copy of Power Bi.

Thank you in advance,

BTW: I have sent the frow n log files to microsoft power bi folks, with trace files.

1.4M.N07.4.R0807
becuase it's funny
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That was the first thing tried (as Admin) and failed.

Was not able to delete the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AutoRecovery, as Admin.

After the inti post - Flare Gun Shot fired into the wild

Did the fillowing:

Uninstalled PowerBI

As Admin Deleted very thing in the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\ folder 

BTW: the AutoRecovery folder was still there. Weird....

Renamed AutoRecovery to AutoRecovery_BAD (Should have just renamed it first)

Reinstalled the newest version of PowerBi.

The PBIX file I was working on was not recoverable. ...  Smiley Sad

Went to my secret cashe of PBIX files lasted saved and started working from it, in the working directoy (Lost 2 days work, but only took a day to rework it)

Now up and running.

New Question, will I need to dig around in the OS registery, to reset a bit, to delete the AutoRecovery_BAD folder?

Thanks in Advance,

1.4M.N07.4.R0807
becuase it's funny

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@1_4m_n0t_4_r080,

Are you able to delete the AutoRecovery folder in your machine? If you have the permission to delete it, delete the folder, then open Power BI Desktop to check if the error still occurs.

However, if you can’t delete the folder, please verify that if your account has full control on the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop folder and its subfolders. Also go to Event Viewer to check detailed error message.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That was the first thing tried (as Admin) and failed.

Was not able to delete the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AutoRecovery, as Admin.

After the inti post - Flare Gun Shot fired into the wild

Did the fillowing:

Uninstalled PowerBI

As Admin Deleted very thing in the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\ folder 

BTW: the AutoRecovery folder was still there. Weird....

Renamed AutoRecovery to AutoRecovery_BAD (Should have just renamed it first)

Reinstalled the newest version of PowerBi.

The PBIX file I was working on was not recoverable. ...  Smiley Sad

Went to my secret cashe of PBIX files lasted saved and started working from it, in the working directoy (Lost 2 days work, but only took a day to rework it)

Now up and running.

New Question, will I need to dig around in the OS registery, to reset a bit, to delete the AutoRecovery_BAD folder?

Thanks in Advance,

1.4M.N07.4.R0807
becuase it's funny

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.