Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Business Central entity selection as a filter

Hello all, 

we recently introduced MS Business Central. We have 15 legal entities set up, which are synchronized to one Central Company. 

I want to build up several reports from this Central Company and wondered, if I can set up Row Level Security the way, that the selected entity in BC filters the embedded report. 

E.g. the Customer Ledger Entries are already filtered to the legal entity I am currently logged into, so the in BC embedded report doesn't show me the overall Customer information. 

Thanks for your insights. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hashtag_pete,

AFAIK, current you can't use filters to directly affect the data model table records. They work on different data levels.

Notice: the data level of power bi.

Database(external) -> query table(query, custom function, query parameters) -> data model table(table, calculate column/table) -> data view with virtual tables(measure, visual, filter, slicer)

FOr your requirement, I'd like to suggest you add the username field to your user table and mapping to other tables.
After these, you can set RLS based on the current username, then power bi can dynamically filter records based on the current user and apply filters from table relationships.

Using Username() in DAX with Row-Level Security | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Solved: RLS with UserName() - Microsoft Power BI Community

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

thanks for your answer. However it didn't solve my requirement, so accepting this as a solution on your behalf is not quite correct. 

My request was to use the selected entity in Business Central as a filter, not the user. I will propose this as an idea. 

best

hashtag_pete

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.