Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dalenaughton
Regular Visitor

Burnup Chart for Milestones Tracking

Hi All,

I am trying to create a progress chart, sort of like a burn up chart with reference to weighted milestones.

I have a table with columns including; finish date, percentage complete of the milestones, the weighting of each milestones (weighting), The Calculated Value (Actual), Value of the Project Milestone (As a percentage of the entire project) and a running total of the milestones value (%).

I was hoping to find actual versus planned in this respect but just a tracking of time versus % would be ideal.  I created a reference Calendar to try help the process with dates but the more I play the more I am finding myself lost.

Where am I going wrong and what is the better approach to go about it?

PBI.JPGXLS.JPG 

Your help would be great!

- Dale 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dalenaughton,

You can try to use below measure formula to calculate cumulative complete percent:

Cumulative Complete = 
DIVIDE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Test[Actual after weighting] ),
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Test ), [Finish Date] <= MAX ( Test[Finish Date] ) )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Test[Weighting] ), ALLSELECTED ( Test ) ),
)

2.PNG

Notice: I turn off the 'concatenate label' option of x axis and modify 'sort by column' property of 'Program Milestone' column to use finish date as sort order.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @dalenaughton,

Please share some sample data with expected result for test, it is hard clarify your requirement from less information.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

BTW, current power bi can't directly analytics date ranges who define from multiple date columns, maybe you cna consider to expand date range for analysis.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin, 

Thanks for the reply, still a bit green here.

An example of what I am trying to accomplish is similar to the info below:

I need to convert my data into a % of the total and compare actual versus planned.

Expected results.JPG

The sample data as per below:

Program Milestone Finish Date% CompleteWeightingActual after weightingCumulative (Planned) Cumulative (Actual)
PGM: PABX Upgrade - Additional works & equipment review (All sites)Friday, 1 September 2017100.00%222.002.00
PGM: PABX Upgrade - High Level Design Brief & BoM - 3 sites Wednesday, 13 September 2017100.00%224.004.00
PGM: PABX Upgrade - PO Issue for additional equipment and site works - All sitesThursday, 14 September 2017100.00%226.006.00
PGM: PABX Upgrade - Contractor Maintenance Contract ApprovalFriday, 15 September 2017100.00%4410.0010.00
PGM: PABX Upgrade - Integrate new servers into NetworkTuesday, 19 September 2017100.00%4414.0014.00
PGM: PABX Upgrade - Software PO Issue & OrderingThursday, 28 September 20170%4018.00

Hi @dalenaughton,

You can try to use below measure formula to calculate cumulative complete percent:

Cumulative Complete = 
DIVIDE (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Test[Actual after weighting] ),
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Test ), [Finish Date] <= MAX ( Test[Finish Date] ) )
    ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Test[Weighting] ), ALLSELECTED ( Test ) ),
)

2.PNG

Notice: I turn off the 'concatenate label' option of x axis and modify 'sort by column' property of 'Program Milestone' column to use finish date as sort order.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Excellent, thanks for that @v-shex-msft.

I used similar from https://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/ 

Works perfectly.  Thank you once again for your help 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.