Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

billraymond

Bulk Column Creation?

Hello,

Is it possible to bulk add new calculated columns based on a set of criteria? For example, iterate through a table, search for all date fields and then create a second calculated column based on each date field. Please see the example below.

We create a custom column for many of our date fields, that concatenates the [date] and [year] to create a nice, easy to read date format for display on visualizations and for filtering. We do not want to mess with the original date because that gets used in other reports and users want to see the full date and time.

The formula looks like this:

Date MD = 'Table'[Date].[Month] & " " & 'Table'[Date].[Year]

(the MD suffix stands for Month and Day)

The output looks like this:

January 2018

February 2018

etc.

I would like to automate the creation of that custom column for all date fields in a table. If I were to write this with code, it would look something like this:

foreach (column in table) {

if (column.type == type.date) {

NewColumn = table.createcolumn(column.name & " MD")

NewColumn.formula = Column.Month & " " & Column.Year

{

}

A table that used to look like this:

Title, Start Date, End Date, Due Date

Would now look like this:

Title, Start Date, Start Date MD, End Date, End Date MD, Due Date, Due Date MD

Note: If you have an alternative solution to how I am using dates, that would be great, but I still would like to know if it is possible to iterate through columns and create new ones based on the column's type. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@billraymond,

You may take a look at the post below,

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-multiple-measure-simultaneously-at-one-go/m-p...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.