Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Building up a new dataset and including another dataset

Hi folks.

I have a existing Dataset called "BI", that includes my customers, sales, hr and many more:

martinobermayr_0-1668075191089.png

Now i would like to build up a new, separate Dataset called "BI Potential" into which i will insert a huge SQL-DB with market-data. I want to outsource this because otherwise i think i could get performance problems.

martinobermayr_1-1668077143129.png

So far so good. Of course now i will provide that i can compare and combine both my existing customers (from Dataset "BI") with my market potential (from the new Dataset "BI Potential")

I thought i can simply include the existing "BI"-Dataset as a Datasource into the new Dataset and i found out that there is a possibility doing this by doing this:

martinobermayr_2-1668077203273.png

->

martinobermayr_7-1668078054372.png

->

martinobermayr_3-1668077234037.png

Now i can see all tables both from "BI"- and "BI Potential"-Dataset:

martinobermayr_4-1668077364104.png

But there is no possibility in the query editor making a combined table out of Table "Kunden" (= customers) from Dataset "BI" and table "HEROLD" (= potential customers) from the current Dataset "BI Potential", because in the editor i only can see the "BI Potential" tables:

martinobermayr_5-1668077496030.png
->

martinobermayr_6-1668077699651.png

Can you please tell me if i am doing something wrong or if there is a way to solve this?

Thank you very much in advance.

1 REPLY 1
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

It sounds like you have data from two different  sources and you want to bring them together (like a UNION, not a JOIN), is that correct? If so, let each table come into the model. Then create a DAX table using the UNION function in DAX. Hint: Make sure the two source tables have the same columns in the same order or you may get strange results.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.