Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AnaJakic

Building sum over multiple rows

Hi everyone,

I am just starting to work with Power BI and I have a question concering the aggregation of a variable. 

Here is an tiny excerpt of my ABT that I use for my Power BI visualizations. 

ABT.PNG

I would like to visualize a KPI that returns the sum of revenue for the respective Services (S1, S2, etc.). As the revenue in my table is displayed on the Service-level, the sum of revenue is 7.000 (3.000 for S 1 and 4.000 for S 2). In Tableau I would use the {include[service]:avg[revenue]}. 

No matter what I do, I got the sum of the complete column "Revenue", meaning that services are included several times in the revenue I would like to display. 

What should I do in Power BI to get the "right" number? 

Thank you very much for your help! 

Best

Ana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AnaJakic,

You should be able to use the formula below to create a measure to calculate the sum of revenue in your scenario. Smiley Happy

Measure =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE ( Table1, Table1[Service], "RevenueAVG", AVERAGE ( Table1[Revenue] ) ),
    [RevenueAVG]
)

Note: You'll need to replace 'Table1' with your real table name.

r1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AnaJakic,

You should be able to use the formula below to create a measure to calculate the sum of revenue in your scenario. Smiley Happy

Measure =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE ( Table1, Table1[Service], "RevenueAVG", AVERAGE ( Table1[Revenue] ) ),
    [RevenueAVG]
)

Note: You'll need to replace 'Table1' with your real table name.

r1.PNG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.