Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Building dynamic matrix from tabular model

Hi all,

I have a question regarding building "dymanic" matrixes in a PBI report depending on intervals in a underlying table.

The easiest way to explain is showing you how the data is structured as of now.

First, we have a table (simplified in this picture) containing a list of matrixes depending on intervals of lengths:

Len.PNG

Then we have a similar list of matrixes with intervals of diameters:

Dia.PNG

Last of all, we have the facts table (also a bit simplified):

Fact.PNG

What I am trying to accomplish is a report with a "dynamic" matrix somewhat looking like this:

Report.PNG

The report should then sum up the Count and place it in a correct (from the interval) cell in the matrix where the columns would be from the intervals of diameters, and the rows would be from the intervals of lengths. Also, the user should easy be able to change the matrix shown from the slicer.

My normal solution for this would to actually let the fact-table have a Matrix-dimension, populated by the normal ETL-process, but that is not really applicable here I think. Since the facttable can contain x billion of rows, also the matrixes are on a "per user"-basis, so each user (around 1000 users) can have 1-20 matrixes, with means we might end up with mayn billions of rows.

Does anyone have a idea on if this is even possible within DAX/PBI, or is the only solution to redesign the facttable/ETL leaving is with a facttable with up to 100 billion rows?

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

this is an interesting task, can you please upload an excel file that contains your sample data to onedrive or dropbox? This would be helpful to easily recreate a PBI model.

I'm wondering about the data in your fact data especially the rows 19 and 20 from the diameter it could be either Matrix 1 or Matrix 2. From the length it just fits to Matirx 1.

Does this mean it will be just Matrix 1

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Here is a link to the sample data:

https://b3it-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/michael_holmstrom_b3it_se/Ecpo5uyrvRBDkqVEh1ndLZ4BQ4rq...

Regarding your question, those could be either in matrix 1 or in matrix 2. Regardless of which matrix the user selects in the slicer, those rows will be shown.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.