Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Building a Table that Calculates across rows and columns

Hi all,

I've built a table in excel that can calculate a target amount based on previous inputs, and I'd like to replicate it in BI (since it makes sharing easier and we already have a couple dashboard set up). Here is a screen shot of the table in excel: Untitled.png

To calculate column I ("Target Confirmations"), I've added the Fill Pace Remaining (Column L) to the suceeding deadline's Fill Pace (Column G). The basic idea is that if we were supposed to get 5 applications at the first deadline, and we only received 4 applications, then our goal for the next deadline would be the second deadline's original goal +1 (to make up for that deficit). Therefore the "Target Confirmations" for November 16, 2018 is L3 + G4, January 25, 2019 is L4 + G5, and so on. 

The trouble I'm having is that in BI I don't know how to reference a specific value based on a preceeding row. I can subtract, multiply, etc values that are in the same row but different columns, but not in different columns AND rows. I've tried a couple different ways to get a value, but no matter what I try I always end up needing to reference somehow the preceeding deadline as it's values will impact the next deadline. 

Hoping I can get some support/clarification on how to build the report so I can reference preceeding rows, or on how I should be writing measures/calculated columns. 

Thanks in advance!

-Zach

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

You could create an index column in Query Editor and then create a calculated column with the formula below.

Column =
VAR a =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Table1'[Fill Pace remaining] ),
FILTER ( 'Table1', 'Table1'[index] = EARLIER ( Table1[index] ) - 1 )
)
RETURN
a + 'Table1'[FillPace]

output.PNG

In addition, you could have a good look at this blog about using M query to achieve your desired output in Query Editor.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

You could create an index column in Query Editor and then create a calculated column with the formula below.

Column =
VAR a =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Table1'[Fill Pace remaining] ),
FILTER ( 'Table1', 'Table1'[index] = EARLIER ( Table1[index] ) - 1 )
)
RETURN
a + 'Table1'[FillPace]

output.PNG

In addition, you could have a good look at this blog about using M query to achieve your desired output in Query Editor.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Cherry,

Thanks for the tip here! I tried incorporating the calculated column you suggested, but oddly I did not get the same results. Here's screen shot: 

Untitled.png

Not sure why it's not calculating the rest of the column like in your example. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Zach

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.