Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ray_Brosius
Helper III
Helper III

Building a Table Visual - error "Can't determine relationships between the fields"

I have what I feel like is a stupid question.  I've been using Power BI for several years and it seems like I run into this problem and can't figure it out.. or at least remember.

I have these three simple tables shown below.  The main table is Deals and the dealid is key that relates this one table to the two tables shown below.. 

When I try to create a table visual with a column from all three of these tables I get the error " can't determine relationship between the fields"  If I pull a column from Deals and Key Deal Status.. no problems.. as soon as I add a column from the COmpanies to Deals.. I get the error.. 

Ray_Brosius_0-1624047647357.png

Ray_Brosius_1-1624047787691.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ray_Brosius
Helper III
Helper III

I think I understand the nature of the problem....

The Deals can have more than one Company.. and the Deals can have more than one Status.

When trying to put these together  liek below

Deal, Company(s), Status(es)

Power BI does not know how to list these in one Table.. in that for every Deal -> company relationship does it go and get every Deal-Status combination.. the Status and Company while related to a single Deal ... there is no relationship between the Company and Status...  showing that in a single table does not make logical sense...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ray_Brosius
Helper III
Helper III

I think I understand the nature of the problem....

The Deals can have more than one Company.. and the Deals can have more than one Status.

When trying to put these together  liek below

Deal, Company(s), Status(es)

Power BI does not know how to list these in one Table.. in that for every Deal -> company relationship does it go and get every Deal-Status combination.. the Status and Company while related to a single Deal ... there is no relationship between the Company and Status...  showing that in a single table does not make logical sense...

Hi @Ray_Brosius 

Yes, I think you understand it correctly. If you want to have a meaningful pair of company and status values for each Deal, it would be better to record this in the fact table when each Deal happens or changes.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In a normal data model, the columns that you want to run calculations on are usually the fact tables (Many side of the relationship) but in yours the Deals table is the dimension table (one side of the relationship).

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Ray_Brosius !

You might need to change one of your relation direction to be bi-directional; You can possibly change Companies to Deal relationship to be bi-directional this will allow the rows to be filtered through.

If this doesn;t work you can make both relationships bi-directional to test it out.

Regards,

Hasham

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.