Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Building Schema/ Relationship for Resource Management

Would like to ask for opinions on how to build relationships for resource managment.

We are in the consulting business and i would like to create a dashboard that shows our resource's bookings(schedule), availability and utilization.

our resource managment system produces 3 different reports that captures 3 months worth of data and i would like to use power bi to consolidate into 1 dashboard.

Below is the relationship that I have between these 3 reports but sometimes the filters are not working accurately and when i do a chart that combines the booking and the availability to reflect the hours, one of the data is not correct (either the availability or the booking data will just show the same totals.

Chart 2.JPGcharts.JPG

I am using the User as the common data for all 3 reports. I think I am missing something on the relationship set-up. 

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Booking, Utilisation, and Availability seems to Many to Many relations, that is one thing need to be avoided unless there is no other option.

There might a need of some intermediate table to make it work.

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.

Below is the sample dashboard I am working on and sample of what the raw data looks like for the 3 reports.

I was also thinking I might need a fact table/ intermediary table so that I can do the "One to Many" relationship but I dont know what the fact table should look like.

I tried doing a Resource Table that only contains the resource name and thier respective team but it is not solving the problem.

Data Sample.JPGSample Dashboard.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.