Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kjani
Helper I
Helper I

Build the model using sample data

I want to build a Power BI report and need to connect to two databases. The connections are very slow and it's difficult to play with the data. I would like to get a sample of the data, build the report and then connect to live databases. What's the best way to accomplish this? Is there a way to import a sanpshot of data from SQL Server database? I am not in IT, so need help how do I build the report first using small set of data and then scale. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is a tip that may help.  Make your queries, and in one of the first steps add a Keep Rows step and keep 100,1000, or whatever you think is representative.  You can build out your model, make measures/visuals, etc.  When you are done, just delete the Keep Rows step to load all the data.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.