Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stevenbrisley

Build histogram showing count of unique records across different sales buckets

Hello!

I've come close to solving this challenge but have yet to find a fully working solution. I'm hopeful someone else may have more luck than I have. 

Goal: Build a histogram (column chart) where the values (on the y-axis) are the count of unique Product_IDs across buckets. The buckets, meanwhile, are defined based on the total sales for each Product_ID.  This matters because there are more than one row for each Product_ID (since each record is a transaction).  In addition, I need a solution that works in conjunction with the slicers -- which woudl be used to filter the records (transactions) that are included in the considered dataset. 

Example data (simplified as there are other fields):

Product_IDSales
0001A$20
0001B$5
0002A$15
0003A$8
0004A$12
0005A($2)
0001B$15
0002A$10

Based on this, the distinct count of Product_ID would be 6. 

Then you'd get the following histogram inputs based on these three buckets:

Buckets (Sum of Sales $)Distinct Count
<=52
5 < x <=203
>201

How can I go about creating a measure that would calculate the values in the second column of the table above?

Thanks for your help!

Steven

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Well, for your case, i've created an aggregated table with SUMMARIZE DAX FUNCTION,

if you have the "table_data" with "product_ID" and "Sales" columns, the sintax for aggregated table is:

table_data_AGGREGATED = SUMMARIZE(table_data,table_data[Product_ID],"SUM OF SALES",SUM(table_data[Sales]))

then, i've created a calculate column for your logic:

CATEGORY = IF('table_data_AGGREGATED'[SUM OF SALES]<=5,  "<=5" ,
IF('table_data_AGGREGATED'[SUM OF SALES]<=20 , "5 < x <=20" , ">20"))

agregated_category.png

The final result:

agregated_category_graphs.png

Thank you! Working with this now. Two follow-up questions:

1. Can I create the aggregated table as a Measure or is there another approach I need to do so?

2. Will using the calculated column method allow for the result to change as I filter the data? For instance, if my data set is for the past year, but I decide I only want to look at the past 30 days and use a slicer to limit the records, will the calculated column "re-calculate" or will it include data from the full year because that's what was used when the column was created?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.