Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Build dynamic DAX variable string and return value

I want to pick up part of a DAX formula from a dataset, and then return the value of that formula calculation

For eg:

RuleStringCol =

VAR RuleString =  // Building the RuleString variable by string concatenation, using the string in RulesTable.Rule column
"=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Dataset1'),
FILTER(ALL('Dataset1')," & RulesTable[Rule] & "))"

RETURN RuleString

But I find that while RuleString is correctly populated with the value from RulesTable.Rule and then concatenated into a CALCULATE expression, this expression does not compute. How do I get it to?

8 REPLIES 8
Cookistador
Helper II
Helper II

any news about this topic?

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If we wrapped the calculation expression with double quotes ("") in a variable definition, the returned result will be the static string, rather than the result value calculated by the expression. In your scenario, why didn't you directly write the calculation expression? What is the purpose of double quotes? 

For example, a common formula can be:

CumulativeTotal =
VAR var1 =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Applications ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Applications ),
            Applications[Date] <= MAX ( Applications[Date] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    var1

For more advice, please post sample data and show us your expected output.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msft

The calculation expression is dynamic: it is retrieved from a table in an external data source. So there should be 2 steps:

1. To resolve the expression: this is why I have used the concatenator operator and quotes.

2. To execute the expression. 

Step 1 is happening correctly. I am getting the var RuleString to be populated as:

CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MyDataset'), FILTER(ALL('MyDataset'),'MyDataset'[Source System] = "MainFrame"))

My issue is that step 2, i.e. to actually execute the CALCULATE statement, is not happening. 

Hope I am explaining the issue more clearly.

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

to my knowledge in DAX you cannot execute a code that resides in a string, it will be just considered text and not proper syntax
so even though the string contains valid code the engine interprets it as if it was wrapped in ""

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

If this is the case it is quite a limitation. Dynamic SQL has been around a long time.

I agree, it's quite a limitation to such a powerful language. I am too looking for this feature to be available soon. 

In case if you found any alternatives, then please let me know. 

Thank you,

Arun

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

true, and I would love to see that feature, but DAX is serving different purpose than SQL, if think comparison with MDX is more in accurate - no clue if dynamic MDX was a thing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're still looking for a solution to this, you may find value in this post:  https://github.com/TabularEditor/TabularEditor/issues/706

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.